Resolved
Feature removed.
BYOND Version:490.1106
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 15.0.874.5
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The dual key repeat feature (http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=3208) has completely altered the way people attack in my game, for the worse. Note my game doesn't use any of the pixel movement functionality.

People attack in my game by moving rapidly while pressing a fire macro.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Press the following in quick succession.
2. Down
3. Left
4. Fire
5. Repeat 2,3,4 several times.

Expected Results:
For a wall of projectiles to be shot, one after the other.

Actual Results:
Sometimes the projectile isn't fired, or one of the movements mightn't go through and you don't end up moving where you expect.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? 90% of the time
In other games? Yes. Any game that is dependent on quick movement while using macros to attack.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes - the few users of mine who have switched to the beta have all complained about it.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you're not using 490.

Yeah, we've gotten enough complaints about this that we will probably just revert back to the old way in the next version. We could possibly provide a way for the developer to toggle it, but that gets sort of confusing.
I very much prefer using a movement loop with the keyup/down events to move diagonally with "dual keys" than whatever timer BYOND's macros go by. Maybe if the built-in feature were more like the library workarounds (this goes for pixel movement too ;P), they'd be much easier to use in more practical ways.

I'm sorry if I come off as unappreciative of what you guys (Tom and Lummox JR) have done to give us these native features, but at the moment I simply still prefer the library workarounds (speed improvements are very nice, but if it takes the same kind of workarounds even after native support has been added, it's still two steps forward and one step back).
This is not fixed. I don't think the problem was the dual key thing, but something else. It doesn't register keys sometimes if you're already holding down another key.

You can see the problem in action by doing the following:
Run a game and run in a single direction (running into a wall is fine also). While holding the movement key, tap another direction (quickly and only once). The new key wont register.

So basically if you're holding a key, a second key has to be pressed for a short time before it'll register (or tapped twice very quickly). You can't quickly tap it once. But you can tap keys correctly if you aren't already holding a key down.

So it is not fixed. It's a huge problem for Feval players right now.
Aaiko wrote:
This is not fixed. I don't think the problem was the dual key thing, but something else. It doesn't register keys sometimes if you're already holding down another key.

You can see the problem in action by doing the following:
Run a game and run in a single direction (running into a wall is fine also). While holding the movement key, tap another direction (quickly and only once). The new key wont register.

So basically if you're holding a key, a second key has to be pressed for a short time before it'll register (or tapped twice very quickly). You can't quickly tap it once. But you can tap keys correctly if you aren't already holding a key down.

So it is not fixed. It's a huge problem for Feval players right now.

EDIT: Can't reproduce this problem on a fresh project.
Stevenw9 wrote:
This doesn't seem to occur on my fresh project with pixel movement enabled. I'm assuming this issue is without pixel movement, so this could be confirmation that it's non-pixel movement oriented?

I think it's any keys, and not exactly movement related. You could have two commands that are on repeat, that do something like... shoot bullets. The first command shoots red bullets and the second command shoots blue bullets. You hold the first key down to shoot red bullets and then tap the second key to shoot a single blue bullet, the blue bullet wont shoot if you don't hold the key down for at least 1 second or so.
Aaiko wrote:
Stevenw9 wrote:
This doesn't seem to occur on my fresh project with pixel movement enabled. I'm assuming this issue is without pixel movement, so this could be confirmation that it's non-pixel movement oriented?

I think it's any keys, and not exactly movement related. You could have two commands that are on repeat, that do something like... shoot bullets. The first command shoots red bullets and the second command shoots blue bullets. You hold the first key down to shoot red bullets and then tap the second key to shoot a single blue bullet, the blue bullet wont shoot if you don't hold the key down for at least 1 second or so.

From my fresh project, if I hold DOWN and then press RIGHT, I'll move RIGHT, but DOWN will stop registering. If I let go of RIGHT, DOWN will register again.
Stevenw9 wrote:
From my fresh project, if I hold DOWN and then press RIGHT, I'll move RIGHT, but DOWN will stop registering.

Are you tapping the second key? You can't press it very long.

Aaiko wrote:
Stevenw9 wrote:
From my fresh project, if I hold DOWN and then press RIGHT, I'll move RIGHT, but DOWN will stop registering.

Are you tapping the second key? You can't press it very long.

Actually, this is interesting. Tapping RIGHT works perfectly fine on my fresh project. Tapping LEFT however just does nothing. If I enable pixel movement, tapping works fine.
I experienced what Aaiko mentioned, in my game.
Holding down right, then tapping up often doesn't register.

I try the same thing in 489, and it always registers.