ID:118940

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Well, after a while i wanted to do this feature request. It's something about Downloadable Content. But what does that means?

Everytime you want to make 'Special Missions', 'Special Maps' or 'Maps that you have to pay to play' you need to edit the current game to make them. But! What about a system that lets you download that 'extra' content and with a proc playing it in the game without having to do anything else?
With this i meant (Example):

1.-Oh, i like this game! (Player looks at Downloadable Content Tab) (Well, that should be added too) the tab haves 3 items 'Co-op Maps #1' 'Multiplayer Maps #1' 'Single-Player Maps #1'
2.-Player Downloads the Single-Player maps, after it gets downloaded (We could have a new format? .dlc? .bdlc?) Player runs the game and calls the proc that would load that dlc.
3.-Player plays the DLC, Programmer didn't have to change anything in the source of the game.

I would want this to be featured, would be something... good.
I think this can already be done with the present systems available.

You can use subscriber checks and medals for these things, but admittedly the subscribers system doesn't really allow you to define different types of subscribers or different subscription plans.
Well, maybe. But you still would need to edit the source code of the game to add those special missions, but instead of that when you compile the game it would create a library file (.blib (Anyone? =D) Which includes all the game procedures, variables, etc so you can #include it in the DLC to program).
So with this we also open ways to other new things like letting people make their custom Downloadable Content for the game they like. Since if the developer of the game shares that library (The one that includes the Variables, Procedures, etc) with the usefull documentation...
If all you want to create as DLC is new maps or costumes, then that can already be accomplished pretty easily.
What would stop people from creating some random DLC that makes them level infinity, and then patching it into any random game?
You could make a way to restrict the edition of some variables?
So i was wondering if we can put in DLC and Map Packs For Example The Can Be A DLC text next to sub and if you click it it iwll sned you to a page to buy some and when you buy them you will get more things its like Sub but better in my opinion
In response to Foxhounds
Because BYOND isn't based enough on the client's side for that.

[EDIT]
This could however work for the host; giving the server itself the "DLC".
[END EDIT]
In response to Foxhounds
meh. this can already be handled (and with much less hassle) by already including the content with the game and then later on handing out codes to unlock the content. it's a no from me.
In response to Foxhounds
This is a duplicate of this request: [link]
In response to LordAndrew
Actually saw another one not too long ago aswell. Just didn't bother looking for them.

http://www.byond.com/ forum/?forum=6&command=search&text=DLC&scope=local&posts=1

Searches help tons!

Anyway- unsure of what happend to the other feature request involving DLC went, it had something to do with subscriptions aswell.
In response to NNAAAAHH
I recall one from a week or two ago pertaining to this but I can't find it at all.
In response to Foxhounds
In response to Super Saiyan X
I don't think that's it; pretty sure I didn't reply and it had something to do with adding content, not unlocking it.

But I could be mistaken. I was highly tired, as always, when I read the post.