DivineTraveller wrote:
Bravo1 wrote:
... DmTutor! ...

No, no, a million times no.
Put it into a guild that already exists, don't spread the information more thin than it needs to be. DMCast should really have merged with Journalism in some way, because that would've been best for both of them.

But byond journalism is about interviews and discussion, not about coding tutorials. DMCast is about livestream byond events and podcasts. I would agree with you if each of the blogs was doing the same thing, but having journalism include a bunch of stuff that isn't journalism is silly.

My opinion is pretty much identical to Ganing's, I learned the basics from an old Zeta source, and I believe it's perfectly okay to keep a source (Leaked or not) for personal (reasonable, no making complete games from just the source) reference, but the moment it goes past personal reference, into completely making games from it or sending it to other people, it becomes an issue.

I also like the idea of a dmTutors or such like guild, but does the original forum already have basically this?
Ishani937 wrote:
Also some may collect the source to sale or trade, to others on byond who can not get hold of the source they desire. Sale it for money worth wise, or trade a source for a source of equal to or lesser vaule, to the person that has the main source needed to the person that needs it.

People are actually selling stolen source codes?
F0lak wrote:
Ishani937 wrote:
Also some may collect the source to sale or trade, to others on byond who can not get hold of the source they desire. Sale it for money worth wise, or trade a source for a source of equal to or lesser vaule, to the person that has the main source needed to the person that needs it.

People are actually selling stolen source codes?

Indeed they are Zetaiva and Tadashshi are two i can name off the top of my head. They also buy them.
Eh, nothing wrong with Anime-Addicts, I have the right to enjoy what I like.

Anyways, to Ganing's theory, I do have to agree that keeping sources around with the intention of not using it to create a game from(i.e; editting the source to make you admin on) is perfectly acceptable, the source of the code really doesn't matter. If some idiot, *cough*Masterdan*cough*, is really not going to check and make sure the person they are handing their source to is trustworthy, or even the person they think they are, then they shouldn't be giving it to them, plain and simple. If they make that mistake, then it's no one but their own fault(Never actually done this, but it's my own thoughts on the matter).

Another thing, selling sources is 100% wrong. Never should be done, and it should be a bannable offense on BYOND to even cite websites to purchase them from, or where to be contacted for them.

As for learning from sources? Well, depending on the source it could be a positive or negative influence on your programming career/ability. If, say, something has a SQL coding in its source, and you honestly have no idea what it is, or how to code it, and desperately need help, there is obviously no demos for it, or at least to my knowledge, and thus a source would come in handy. A few minutes, maybe twenty tops, studying the collected source's SQL coding, would easily be a much better option than waiting for days, more like years, for someone to publish -how- to code SQL into a BYOND game. Another quick addition, there's nothing wrong from studying a source, especially GOA, in order to further your knowledge and understanding of certain ways to use Topic(), or even just to understand how a save-system works.

Edit: Especially because of how crappy most demos are to begin with. (Yes, that means you, My First World demo)
Page: 1 2 3