El Wookie wrote:
Just because you don't finish a lot of projects doesn't mean you're a bad programmer, does it? ;_;

No, but having bad programming habits will cause problems that drain your motivation.

The DM language makes you remember a lot of things - proc names, variable names, type paths, icon names, icon state names, z-levels, etc. When you first start working on a project it's easy to add things and you can get a lot done quickly - this is because you don't have a lot to remember yet. If you have three procs and two icon states it's easy to keep everything straight. As time passes it takes longer and longer to add features because this mental load adds up. Eventually it gets to the point where working on the project is no longer fun - you spend more time thinking "what was the name of that proc?" than you do on adding new things.

Part of this is because of how the DM language works, but it really comes down to how organized you are. The less organized you are, the sooner the project's code will get too messy. I wouldn't say this is the reason that most projects fail, but it's probably the reason that most "serious" projects fail.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Sure, I think this is a pretty good idea, but I think it's susceptible to the same things that made the Saloon a less-than-preferable community hub for BYOND developers.

I still enjoy it there O.o

The older chats, Chatters and wiz_chat, were positive and supportive only because of the people who inhabited them, not because of whatever features one may have had over the other.

This would be a more friendly enviroment than The Saloon, by a long shot. Not as much 'A gay bar for Gurus to sit and itch their e-peens'. More a place where people can join, ask 'What does X do' and not get laughed at.

You need to put an emphasis on creating the ideal supportive and constructive environment before the fancy features.

Definitely noted.

Additionally, you need to make streaming an optional thing for those who wish to participate; Streaming can be very taxing for some peoples' computers and can interfere with development.

Streamers will (Hopefully) apply, so it's completely up to them if they can handle it or not (Obviously I'll have a few tests for them)

On a different point, being able to finish a project has very little to do with programming skill, but I don't think it's appropriate to derail this comment thread to pursue another debate.

Yay :D
Page: 1 2