ID:119175

BYOND Version:490
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 9.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When I start up the pager on my desktop on my pc it will pop up with the pager like it usually dose. But when I try to log into the pager that when it pops up wit a error message saying that the program has stoped working. But I can still go into Dream Daemon and Dream Maker no problem.</

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:It happends everytime I try to log into the pager.
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?
It happends everytime I try to log into the pager.

When does the problem NOT occur

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
The last version I had was Version 480 but now that dosen't even work either.

Workarounds:

Sorry for a lot of the blank spots I was trying to fill this out as best as I could because I would like this to be fixed. I really enjoy BYOND and hope this problem can be fixed soon for me.
My guess is that this isn't a problem with the new files but more that they were installed incorrectly. Are you sure that everything was installed under appropriate permissions (eg, installed as administrator?)
Crash details would be helpful. If you can provide information on which module is crashing (i.e., byondcore.dll or byond.exe) and at which offset, that would help. Please be sure to use the 490.1113 build when trying to get that information.
When I did the installation I used the program you get from the website. I didn't do the installation the manual way. I figured out that running it as an Administrator I can use it. But I only have one account on my computer and it is the Administrator. It's the byond.exe program that is crashing.
I mean I need details on the crash. Which module is crashing, and at what offset? Also I need to be sure it's on build 490.1112 or 490.1113 (and I need to know which one).
If the program works as Administrator but not as another account (even though you only have one account? I don't get that...) then it is most likely a permissions problem. We should be detecting that and exiting more gracefully so that would be a bug.

I suggest that you follow Lummox's advice and report the entire message that Windows is outputting in the crash box, and also let us know the complete version of BYOND you are using (in the Help->About menu). If it is the latest, it would be 490.1113. Even if you fix or have a workaround for this problem, we would like to know why you got the crash in the first place so we can detect it in the future.

As far as the permissions problem goes, the first thing to check would be if the file 'key.txt' can be written to from your normal account. That is usually located in C:\My Documents\BYOND\key.txt (but search for "key.txt" on your hard drive to know for sure). One easy way to test is to simply delete (or backup and delete) the file; the next time you use the pager it will recreate it after you type in your key name and login.
It is the latest version of BYOND, 490.1113. I would like to know how I would get the information on the crash to help you guys out. Because it says when it happens that it has stopped working and then it reports it to microsoft and then closes the program. I would like to know if you would know where the log would be where the crash is. I'm sorry that I am not so familer with all the things that have to work with BYOND.
In the crash box, is there a "details" button? If so, that should lead to a form that has some information we could use.

If you don't see any extra info, don't worry about it. Try the steps I suggested, though.
In the crash box it dosen't have, "details" button. I am sorry that I couldn't provide the information that was needed to fix the problem. What I did was go into the propertys and when't to "Compatibilty" and chnged the "Privilige" setting to where it runs as an Administrator. So far, the crash hasn't happened since I have done that.

I think another possiblity of the problem is my virus protection I have on my computer but I have also changed the setting's on that to allow it to run. I have Norton Antivirus but since I have "Xfinity" from Comcast they did something with Norton to make it work with the Comcast stuff they loaded my computer for some reason.

But anyways, I'm sorry I couldn't supply you both with the information needed to fix this problem in the future. Thank you both for all the help, and for suppling these tools to all the BYOND users.