ID:1194609

Welp, I'm dumbfounded. I am running Wine 1.4.1 with Ubuntu 12.10.

Pretty much my problem is:

I have Wine installed perfectly fine.
I have BYOND(Windows v498) unpacked in c: Program Files.
However, I don't have the necessary files to actually run BYOND. I've done some reading and from what I've seen frequently I will need to install mfc42.dll. Being that this is Linux, I won't be doing my little "click this and that to see what it does and get used to the operating system" tricks to figure it out myself. Next thing you know.. No more computer. Lmfao. I know it's fragile. I've used it before and messed up. But anyways, can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to set this up? I already have DreamDaemon installed on root so I can host. I just want to be able to install a second version for actually playing games. :) That's the only part I've had trouble with so far.
Use Winetricks to download mfc42, vcrun6 and wsh56. That should do it.
Yeah, that's the problem. Lol. I don't know how to install it. I feel like a noob with a computer all over again. I really should have gotten in to Unix years ago. :P
Nevermind. Found it. :) Thanks, Fug.

-Kingmasherr
Well, I have two problems.

1. When BYOND is opened:

Account = Guest
Password = This field is blank
--- I can log in fine as a guest so long as I don't change anything --

Account = Kingmasherr
Password = ...........
---I receive an error saying "Cannot read key file!" . It's confirming the fact that it is actually a correct password though. Because if I were to remove 1 letter from my password I would get message saying "Invalid password" ---

The same applies for all other accounts.

So, I tested the guest account and did "Open Location" which is located at the top left corner in file or you can just press CTRL+o . I entered a valid byond link. Successfully, DreamSeeker downloaded all resources and connected fine. When it finishes its download it ends up spiking to 100% CPU. I am forced to kill it manually as Wine won't exit. Also, when I re-open byond and redo this, the resources are downloaded yet again. So, therefore the resources aren't saved. Lol. Bleh, doing things for the first time is such a hassle without mass support on it. :P

Edit: If I get this working, I'm going to make a video on how to install DreamDaemon, how to use wine to play BYOND games, and how to do many other things with Linux and BYOND. Because many people are striving hard to find these things. Lol. I was up at 5:17 AM this morning trying to fix things up all related to byond. At that exact time I finished a good amount of goals. :o..
Hope this isn't too much of a necro, but I was using the same exact Wine and Ubuntu versions and it ran just fine.(after installing some GUI files, which Fugsnarf mentioned)

Even on the latest version of Ubuntu, which causes Wine to give fake error messages, it runs fine.

The only thing that will not work is Dreammaker, trying to compile on wine will crash, but you can just use the Linux version of DM for that.

So I don't know why it won't work for you, I've even tried different kinds of games.

If it helps I put all my Byond files into the desktop.
The cannot read key file was more than likely a permission issue, or it wasn't even created at setup.

Why DreamMaker won't work I don't have any idea about that sorry I always just used the Linux DM compiler.. You can easily create a bash script to run the compiler and point to the dme file from the terminal something like

#!/bin/bash
DreamMaker $1

That's if you done an make install (global install) otherwise you could change DreamMaker to the full path.

$1 is like a variable so it picks up anything you put after it eg DreamMaker 123.dme

You could put this script in your /bin folder to make it globally accessible it doesn't need .sh on the end but will need executable permission chmod +x scriptname
The "cannot read keyfile" bit seems to be some kind of issue wine has with reading from hidden files in linux. I beleive it's fixed in wine 1.5, but its still 1.4 in the canonical repositories. You can solve the problem by just chosing to install byond to "My Documents". This will install byond to home/BYOND.

You may also encounter another issue with joining games, where it says "unable to read cache" or something of the sort. This is a permissions issue. I solved it by giving the cache folder, and all of its contents, full read/write permissions, for everybody. It's a bit insecure, but it works