ID:119768

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I'd like there to be some way of doing DMI compression through BYOND without the need to go through pngcrush.exe to compress my icon files.

Being able to compress icon objects' graphical data would also be beneficial to games that rely on a large number of graphics generated during run-time. Perhaps compress the graphical data before sending it to clients?
Admittedly, I'm not familiar enough with the DMI/PNG format to really be able to provide meaningful input beyond this.

pngcrush.exe has given me consistant 20% to 40% file size reductions with the icons I've put through it.
pngout delivers even better results than pngcrush or advpng, but it's not feasible to include any of these programs in BYOND itself. Also remember, if you're doing this for dynamic icons then compression speed is at least as important as bandwidth if not more so; it's also made somewhat moot by client-side icon processing, which more often than not is doing the compression on the client end and should prevent many such icons from using your bandwidth much at all.