ID:119797

BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 7.0.1
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When outputting mobs directly to the grid, normally if their icon changes, it will change on the grid automatically. However, after running a server for somewhere over an hour (Specifically my project Beep! in this case) the grid stops updating icon changes for those other than yourself. This is happening when the same .dmi file is being used but icon_state is being changed.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Create a grid.
2. List online users on that grid.
3. Create a way to change your icon state.
4. Allow someone else to join.
5. Host for an hour or two.
6. The grid should stop updating the other persons icon, and they shouldn't see changes in your icon.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
proc
Update_Who()
for(var/mob/M in world)
if(M.client)
winset(M,"Who.Grid","cells=0x0")
var/row = 1
for(var/mob/p in world)
if(p.tag!="Dummy")
M << output(p,"Grid:1,[row]")
row++

Expected Results:
For the grid to continue to update every time an icon changes.

Actual Results:
The grid stops updating on icon changes after some time has passed.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Unknown
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
This problem always occurs after awhile.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I did not experience this issue pre-490.

Workarounds:
N/A
The issue you're seeing here is that the other player's appearance isn't being updated, because the server doesn't keep track of anything it's already output to the grid. If you want them to update, you'll have to periodically refresh the grid, include the objects in a statpanel, or make sure they're on the map.
Lummox JR wrote:
The issue you're seeing here is that the other player's appearance isn't being updated, because the server doesn't keep track of anything it's already output to the grid. If you want them to update, you'll have to periodically refresh the grid, include the objects in a statpanel, or make sure they're on the map.

Oh I see, I wasn't sure of the intentions because it half worked. I thought you only had to refresh it if you added something new to it.