ID:1200356

BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 19.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
While I was editing the skin in Dream Maker, I compile and it will give me 25 errors
"BT01.dm:19:error: 'BT01.dmi': not a supported icon file type"

If I try to do a clean compile it gives me 80 errors instead of 25.

I check the icon file, I save as, compile and it will work fine, but then it randomly gives me the errors again after awhile.

All the seperate icon states are named, nothing seems corrupted.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
No errors.

Actual Results:
Multiple errors

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every few compiles or so after I temporarily "fix it"

On other computers?
I only have my one computer.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I tried version 467.1146, same errors

Workarounds:
Temporary work around is opening the icon file, going to Save As, overwriting the file and compiling. Sometimes I have to hit clean compile, sometimes regular compile. This only fixes it for a very short time.
Are you compiling while the game is ran from the same directory as your environment? That could cause errors like those. You have to make sure the game isn't running while you're working on icons, otherwise when you compile, it'll go poot.

Workaround is to move the host files to another directory, and host from there.
I did a quick check in our code and this only comes up when you're setting an atom.icon value at compile-time to a file that is not recognized as an icon. Specifically, at the point you have received this error, DM has already added the file to the .rsc, and the info in the file says it is not an icon. That info is set at the time it's added to the file, and it's done based on the filename.

Three possibilities occur to me offhand, but I don't know which is likely without seeing the source. One is that there is some kind of name conflict and the compiler is getting confused. Another is that the project suffers from enormous path trees (e.g., MyGame/Icons/Town1/Monday/Townspeople/WithHats/etc...) and maybe a string buffer has just gotten stuffed, which could conceivably cause the file to be recognized by type when it gets saved into the .rsc. Finally, there is a very rare possibility you have two files conflicting in their checksum, but the odds against that are extremely high.

The checksum issue, if it did come up, would be fixed by adding a bogus icon state to your file. I don't consider this a likely explanation though.
I went through the icon file and deleted some states that didn't belong in there and that seemed to have fixed the issue. I haven't had a problem since.

Super Saiyan X wrote:
Are you compiling while the game is ran from the same directory as your environment? That could cause errors like those. You have to make sure the game isn't running while you're working on icons, otherwise when you compile, it'll go poot.

Workaround is to move the host files to another directory, and host from there.
No, I wasn't running the game. Any time I compile I make sure I close it first.
Tom changed status to 'Deferred'