ID:120229

So, I got home today after having left my laptop on, and realised I had a few pages. I counted no less than thirteen offers from various -unnamed- BYONDites, all offering to sell me packages of 10-40 various game sources, including a RSC and apparantly a DMB extractor.

The ACTUAL fuck?

No seriously. I can't even fathom how much of an issue this has become. It's one thing that people are illegally making games and getting popular off other people's work, but it's another that they are making freaking money off it and acting all high and mighty about it.

My opinion:
Freaking ban it. Obviously you can't stop people from actually programming and ripping, but currently the only thing prevented is the actual search of these games. I believe that if a game is accused of being a rip, that someone should check both sources in a controlled environment, and if the source is confirmed to be a rip, give the game's acclaimed owner fair warning before banning them, that they are not allowed to host this game anymore.

I've personally never had an issue with rips (Clones are another thing, and that we can talk about another day, but I'm talking about sources which have actually been stolen. Not released), however when it comes to light that complete and utter fucking douche bags are stealing and then selling other peoples hard work, then something seriously actually needs to be done.

Stop this shit.

-Wookie
RANT RANT RANT
Yeah but, RSC and DMB extractors don't work any more? Or is BYOND just that bad it hasn't fixed those issues yet?

And I disagree with the whole checking the source. Even if its a controlled environmental. I don't trust anyone on this site, not staff,not ganing, not Tom, not Lummox, not even Empirezteam, NONE. You could just as easily have them download team viewer or something to show the source. I'd rather not hand you my game.
Enzuigiri wrote:
Yeah but, RSC and DMB extractors don't work any more? Or is BYOND just that bad it hasn't fixed those issues yet?

And I disagree with the whole checking the source. Even if its a controlled environmental. I don't trust anyone on this site, not staff,not ganing, not Tom, not Lummox, not even Empirezteam, NONE. You could just as easily have them download team viewer or something to show the source. I'd rather not hand you my game.

And why?
BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO SCARED OF GETTING YOUR SHIT RIPPED. This is what I'm talking about. Retarded rippers have made this whole site a sespool of 'NO MY GAME'S MORE ORIGINAL'

If ripping wasn't an issue on this site, it would increase the entire moral of the whole environment, I'm sure.
El Wookie wrote:
Enzuigiri wrote:

And why?
BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO SCARED OF GETTING YOUR SHIT RIPPED. This is what I'm talking about. Retarded rippers have made this whole site a sespool of 'NO MY GAME'S MORE ORIGINAL'

If ripping wasn't an issue on this site, it would increase the entire moral of the whole environment, I'm sure.

You got me right there. When BYOND did the whole remove rips from search thing I voted to ban them all together. No hub at all.

Rippers are terrible and I'm tired of seeing the word original being distorted around here. THATS NOT ORIGINAL I SEEN THAT ON (insert game here).

But again I ask, do those extractors still work?
Enzuigiri wrote:

There really isn't any way to resolve these issues.

Regardless of what kind of format you have your RSC data stored, there'll always be a way to figure out how to read it. I guess encryption could help, but not significantly so.

DMB decompilers are rare. AFAIK, those who know how to write one also happen to be particularly secretive about it. There's no way to really resolve this either, because this is similar to the rsc problem: Those who are competent enough to develop a decompiler is also competent enough to develop new ones to account for whatever changes the BYOND staff may take to try to prevent their usage. Not to mention that it's impractical to change the VM language just to prevent the usage of decompilers (impractical is probably a huge understatement here).

I seriously doubt that the "dmb extractors" that you're discussing are actually what people assume they are.

Have you worked with decompiled code? It's typically a huge incomprehensible mess and sometimes will not compile without significant fixing even when the provided VM binaries are legitimate. In the hands of a newbie, the decompiler, given VM code, would generate source code that's more or less worthless.

The joys of being a part of a game development community with a lazy population and countless individuals who would prefer to copy others' work without shame.
Developers just shouldn't be careless with their source, I get countless people popping up to me trying to sell me some modified GOA source or Naruto Evolution source and I can't help but blame the people who originally owned these sources.

Work on your own or in a team of people you PERSONALLY know and can trust 120% and NEVER share your source with anyone.
Slayde wrote:
Developers just shouldn't be careless with their source, I get countless people popping up to me trying to sell me some modified GOA source or Naruto Evolution source and I can't help but blame the people who originally owned these sources.

Work on your own or in a team of people you PERSONALLY know and can trust 120% and NEVER share your source with anyone.

Yes we all know this now but that doesn't matter does it? The issue here is preventing all the rips that are CURRENTLY distributed and sold. The problem at hand is less that people are careless with their source, more that people think and act like they can easily get away with just stealing and then selling and/or using them for personal gain.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Enzuigiri wrote:

There really isn't any way to resolve these issues.

Regardless of what kind of format you have your RSC data stored, there'll always be a way to figure out how to read it. I guess encryption could help, but not significantly so.

DMB decompilers are rare. AFAIK, those who know how to write one also happen to be particularly secretive about it. There's no way to really resolve this either, because this is similar to the rsc problem: Those who are competent enough to develop a decompiler is also competent enough to develop new ones to account for whatever changes the BYOND staff may take to try to prevent their usage. Not to mention that it's impractical to change the VM language just to prevent the usage of decompilers (impractical is probably a huge understatement here).

I seriously doubt that the "dmb extractors" that you're discussing are actually what people assume they are.

The joys of being a part of a game development community with a lazy population and countless individuals who would prefer to copy others' work without shame.

Yeah, but you don't see games like WoW getting decompiled.

Enzuigiri wrote:

That's because people know that decompiling (If it were possible, which I highly doubt) WoW is highly illegal, and that Blizzard is a big company which will ruin your life for it, like Sony did that guy who stole the Master key (Or whatever) of the PS3.

BYOND developers are all geeky kids that write programs on PCs that their parents bought for them (Generalizing, not intending to offend anyone). Nobodies going to think twice about taking their stuff and think that they are going to get in trouble for it. This is exactly the issue that I hope my proposed idea will solve, people will realise they can't actually do these things and will get properly punished for it.
So what your saying is, it's impossible to make a game online unless you have a powerful backing because hackers online are ignorant douchebags?
Enzuigiri wrote:
So what your saying is, it's impossible to make a game online unless you have a powerful backing because hackers online are ignorant douchebags?

No, I'm saying it is on BYOND, currently.
Enzuigiri wrote:

No but you do see games like WoW with a significant private server following.

Admittedly, it takes VERY motivated and talented developers to develop a private server for something like an MMO.

It's still a somewhat similar problem though.
One of the reasons I hate technology and soon CDs and USBs will be gone and all information will be stored on things like dropbox which is just another target.

But yeah I say ban rippers completely.
Hmm did you just call all byond developers "geeky little kids"? I am certainly not a little kid and I'm not geeky, fair enough I don't develop huge amounts of games but I would never rip a game. You shouldn't generalize, stereotypes are bad and some of the Byond community actually work hard to produce quality games, such as yourself?
GreatFisher wrote:
Hmm did you just call all byond developers "geeky little kids"? I am certainly not a little kid and I'm not geeky, fair enough I don't develop huge amounts of games but I would never rip a game. You shouldn't generalize, stereotypes are bad and some of the Byond community actually work hard to produce quality games, such as yourself?

I'm in a rage, I tried to make up for myself by adding the little note next to it directly aimed at you and anyone like you, that I was not trying to offend people.

Like I said, I'm in a rage, so the best I'm going to reply with is, just get over it. I already said sorry.
Hmm Ok, but maybe you should have put rippers instead of game developers. I don't class them as the same thing.
When I was first on BYOND, before I even knew what a rip was, I made a game off the Zeta source with a friend.

Am I no longer a BYOND developer because of it? Now you're the one generalizing.
Do you still do it? I doubt it, and you didn't know what ripping was and I'm guessing it probably wasn't your idea but your friends, I'm not against the use of sources for learning purposes. I don't know what zeta is to be honest and have no idea if the source was released or not.
GreatFisher wrote:
Hmm Ok, but maybe you should have put rippers instead of game developers. I don't class them as the same thing.

When I was learning how to program using dream maker, I dissected a GOA rip to learn how it works, fixed all the bugs, and even hosted it for a little bit.

Does that mean I'm not a BYOND developer? No it didn't.

Did it mean I was a bad BYOND developer? Yeah it did.(But I was just learning so I didn't care) There is a difference between not being able to do something and doing it badly.

GreatFisher wrote:
Do you still do it? I doubt it, and you didn't know what ripping was and I'm guessing it probably wasn't your idea but your friends, I'm not against the use of sources for learning purposes. I don't know what zeta is to be honest and have no idea if the source was released or not.

This statement is stupid. You have no idea who his friend is but in order to defend your point your going to say it was his friends idea? And just because you don't know what murder is doing make doing it right.
Page: 1 2 3