He's an adult with funds available to invest in his hobbies.

He's no commoner.(hopefully that's a good thing)
I'm an adult too. I make decent money, but I have 4 mouths to feed (including my wife and excluding myself)

$6k is a lot of cash. Best of luck to ya bro. I can't wait to see what comes of this :D.

And hey GreatFisher :D
GreatFisher wrote:
Excuse me Mr.I-know-everything, but as you can see I have abandoned Arena Game for lack of motivation and my life doesn't revolve around a fairy tale world. But seriously internet gaming is probably one of the main reasons that a lot of world economies have fallen(maybe a little bit over the top but the principle there). Continually pooling money around in a singular circle is a particularly fantastical way of ruining the economy, I have extensively studied business and, although a great venture and there are a lot of suckers in the world that will give your their money for living in a delusional world, I still think that money is better feed into a countries actual economy and that way stopping hyperinflation and that money that you so cunning made being made worthless.

Just shut up.
l
l
l
l
l
l
V
This.
UPD4T3 wrote:
GreatFisher wrote:
Excuse me Mr.I-know-everything, but as you can see I have abandoned Arena Game for lack of motivation and my life doesn't revolve around a fairy tale world. But seriously internet gaming is probably one of the main reasons that a lot of world economies have fallen(maybe a little bit over the top but the principle there). Continually pooling money around in a singular circle is a particularly fantastical way of ruining the economy, I have extensively studied business and, although a great venture and there are a lot of suckers in the world that will give your their money for living in a delusional world, I still think that money is better feed into a countries actual economy and that way stopping hyperinflation and that money that you so cunning made being made worthless.

Just shut up.

Hmm or not :D.

Also I hadn't posted for about 2 hours so your a little late kind sir.

Sounds good. Be sure to keep us updated!

Everyone posting after me must take a deep breath and count to 10.
I did as you said Toadfish, It didn't really seem to be of a use for me?

Anyway yeah if you have enough money, go ahead and spend it well, Just make bloody well sure that you earn it back and do BYOND proud.
$6,000 isn't really a lot. Well, it is, but there are a lot of indie developers who have spent more than that on their game(s). I don't really think it is far-fetched for a BYOND game either. I would like to see what you can do with BYOND's limitations.
I managed to spend over $6,000 on Eternia's art assets, and I'm an unemployed student, so I don't see how this is hard to believe. Once a game is live it's not just going to disappear either, and eventually, if the game is any good, it'll make back the money invested and hopefully a lot more.

I am a little worried that your budget might not be able to cover all of the graphics though, since your project is isometric, and from what I gather, on a pretty large scale. If you haven't already then it would be wise to compile a list of resources that you'll need to make the game and write all the specifics down - tile size, amount of frames, etc - so you won't be forced to breach your budget like I had to. I also recommend posting the asset list for review on pixel art forums and your BYOND blog so you can get more than enough opinions on whether or not it is realistic.
Mind throwing us a few screenshots? I would love to see the visual progression of your game.
I will be looking forward to this game! I hope your progress goes smoothly. I can't wait to see the end result.
This will be great, no luck needed. If 'your' investing $6,000 in it, you won't need 'luck' to take care of it. xD

@ Everyone: Nobody spends $6,000 on something they have no faith in unless they're rich or won a game show recently. It's always a risk, but it's one he's willing to take. (Besides, check out his previous blog posts, the game already look amazing. I love the title screen btw)
Writing A New One wrote:
I managed to spend over $6,000 on Eternia's art assets, and I'm an unemployed student, so I don't see how this is hard to believe. Once a game is live it's not just going to disappear either, and eventually, if the game is any good, it'll make back the money invested and hopefully a lot more.

I am a little worried that your budget might not be able to cover all of the graphics though, since your project is isometric, and from what I gather, on a pretty large scale. If you haven't already then it would be wise to compile a list of resources that you'll need to make the game and write all the specifics down - tile size, amount of frames, etc - so you won't be forced to breach your budget like I had to. I also recommend posting the asset list for review on pixel art forums and your BYOND blog so you can get more than enough opinions on whether or not it is realistic.

This comment is one of the few comments here with a semblance towards intelligent conversation.

I will actually be very surprised if I need the entire 6k for the art assets. I'm investing in some software that can generate very nice isometric graphics with textures. I'm very handy with Photoshop and expect that, with this software, I will be able to create most of the tilesets myself. In a similar fashion, I will be using software to render down many frames of sprites from 3d models. I'll be sure to keep everybody posted on this when I make progress.
Page: 1 2 3