ID:120942

Resolved
BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 15.0.874.106
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When a game uses icon_size = 16 and icons are upscaled while using something such as 32x32 mode provided by the default skin, a strange area of distortion shows up in the middle of the screen.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Download this demo

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
n/a, demo provided.

Expected Results:
No distortion.

Actual Results:
Distortion.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? In all games using icon_size = 16.
In other games? Casual Quest
In other user accounts? n/a
On other computers? Untested.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Always occurs.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Ever since icon_size was added, I believe.

Workarounds:
Taking a screenshot with BYOND's .screenshot or .screenshot auto feature will make the distortion in the center of the screen go away. I have no idea how that works.
I think in your demo you forgot to include map_scrolling.dmm.

I also don't see the distortion your reporting, using windows XP. (although I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for either)
Ah, whoops. Uploaded the demo again, it should have both maps now.

I cropped out the black background around one of the distorted images, then took a screenshot of what it should actually look like:

Not distorted
Distorted

When you compare the two, there's definitely something weird going on.
Are you sure you didn't make a mistake somewhere in the programming because I just ran a test and I had no issue.
Any word on this? It's really noticeable in the current project I'm working on.

Distorted

Undistorted after using .screenshot
Hey, I can see the distortion your talking about in those two screenshots pretty clearly.

Have you tried disabling hardware rendering mode? The distortion reminds me of the effects it has on icons when it's on for me (which is why I keep it disabled, which may also be why I didn't notice it in your demo)
with LordAndrew's I see something more annoying with what is being called "distortion", distortion isn't a good way to describe this, anyways, it looks like it's the icon stretching causing the problem & after you take a screenshot things offset 1px for some reason, it can look distorted when you move but sitting there looking at it, I wouldn't have used that word...

I don't know why screenshot would move it the 1px it needs to fix or when/why theres a problem to begin with before it, usually I fixed it by sizing it to an exact icon size or moving the bar to make the map bigger/smaller till it doesn't happen...

I think this is more of a problem with the way it stretches icons than anything, why it fixes with screenshot is another stupid thing.
Curiosity got the better of me and I checked this out. I believe Superbike is actually right about the map stretch being the culprit. The distortion was not visible on my screen due to the fact that we're not using the same exact skin+size, which holds up his theory. I believe if you set a basic skin with an icon-size param for the map that's a multiple of 16, you'll have zero distortion.
Gave the skin thing a try, making sure to set icon-size and everything, the stretching still seems to be present.

http://puu.sh/difE
LordAndrew resolved issue
This issue was fixed a while ago. Cleaning up old bug reports that have been resolved.