ID:120984

BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Chrome 15.0.874.120
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
After an incident where the computer ran out of C hard disk space while BYOND and some other programs were running, BYOND has lost the ability to connect to any game. Whether it's one I'm hosting or one someone else is hosting, Dream Seeker hangs forever on Launching BYOND.world.172...

Process Explorer does not show any activity at all on the dreamseeker.exe processes.
EDIT: This is because it's writing buggy.rsc as fast as it can. See the comments for details

I have tried uninstalling and installing, and uninstalling and installing on a different hard drive. I have tried rebooting.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Version 355 works
Version 400.962 works
Version 425 works
Version 438 works
Version 441 works
Version 442.1020 works <-- this is the last version that works
Version 443.1021 does not create buggy.rsc, but instead stalls on 'Launching Dream Seeker' which uses a full core of cpu at all possible times
Version 444: Full CPU
Version 447: Full CPU
Version 448.1029: Full CPU, except it says 'Launching Game' instead
Version 449.1031: Full CPU, except it says 'Launching world.blahblah' instead
Version 450.1032 does NOT work (buggy.rsc forever)
Version 492 does NOT work (buggy.rsc forever)

Workarounds:

Oh, forgot to note that before I rebooted, dreamseeker.exe was crashing over and over and over. As in popups of 'Dreamseeker has unexpected shut down.' or something like that several times in a row in spurts while I was cleaning up hard disk space. And I think it was the only thing open while the rest of byond closed. After that I restarted the computer, opened byond and then the new behaviour of 'dreamseeker.exe hangs without doing anything forever' kicked in. Well, it's not really hanging since it responds to minimizing and closing and draws, it just never does anything useful.
Ah, upon installing the previous version and trying to connect to a game again I'm noticing a file called 'buggy.rsc' is inflating to humonogous sizes - half a gig and still growing. Will it ever finish, and is this why my hard drive filled up?
OK, I figured it out. buggy.rsc is what made my hard drive fill up, so the problem is elsewhere :/

buggy.rsc fills up and nothing else happens every time I try to connect to someone else's game. When I try to connect to my own nothing seems to happen (possibly it's being made elsewhere, I'll go look for it)
New update: This doesn't work: Completely moving the BYOND folder (into a zip so it has a backup), reinstalling it and trying to link to a game. It still creates buggy.rsc forever. It does this no matter what game I click on, even ones I've never played before. (And as said, it SHOULD be like a fresh install - though it still knew my usernames, so it must be storing information somewhere! But where?)

I also believe that buggy.rsc is being created pointlessly, as 200MB of it compresses to a 12MB zip file. Maybe it's created by an infinite loop and will never finish.

I even looked through my computer's registry and couldn't find anything suspect with 'BYOND' in its name. I'm running out of things I can plausibly look for...

I'm uploading the zip file now. EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?ikdoqjhrt11jsbu
Ok, I just binary searched through BYOND versions. As I suspected, it works on an old version. I reported my findings in the issue.
To clarify, when you say buggy.rsc caused your hard drive to fill up, what happened exactly? My information says buggy.rsc shouldn't experience any kind of runaway write, because it's a direct copy of a broken cache file. To me it sounds like your hard drive was already dangerously low, and BYOND didn't actively cause the problem itself (except that copying the original .rsc when you were already extremely low on space could obviously trigger something).

I'm puzzled about this issue and not sure what to do about it. If basically all that happened was because you were already way low on hard drive space, that can't really be counted as a BYOND bug since no application can be expected to perform well in that case.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'