HUD Groups

by Forum_account
An easy way to manage screen objects.
Kaiochao wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to have a HUD positioned off-screen (not actually visible, or partly visible) so that it doesn't stretch the screen.
I'm thinking like having text or a status bar rise from below the screen, only to be seen when necessary.

I think setting a screen_loc to "1,0:16" or "1,1:-16" puts the object in the same place, but the first one makes the screen expand and the second doesn't.
Forum_account wrote:
Kaiochao wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to have a HUD positioned off-screen (not actually visible, or partly visible) so that it doesn't stretch the screen.
I'm thinking like having text or a status bar rise from below the screen, only to be seen when necessary.

I think setting a screen_loc to "1,0:16" or "1,1:-16" puts the object in the same place, but the first one makes the screen expand and the second doesn't.

Probably because they work just like atom's pixel_x and pixel_y variables where they are just visual effects for the pixel offsets of the screen location. Normal x and y of screen locations work just like an atom's x and y variables where they seem to have actual effect on real location.
You could always use LummoxJR's DMIFontsPlus font converter. It's there, you might as well use it.
Some HUD tools for moving around something on your screen might be nice, similar to the effect in Darker Emrald's Dead World, the interface is fully move-around-able, making it very flexible depending on your needs. I've always wondered how he managed that.
El Wookie wrote:
Some HUD tools for moving around something on your screen might be nice, similar to the effect in Darker Emrald's Dead World, the interface is fully move-around-able, making it very flexible depending on your needs. I've always wondered how he managed that.

Because it's not a HUD made with objects but with interface controls?
THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE
El Wookie wrote:
THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE

Mmhmm.
Sweet, thanks FA!
El Wookie, do you mean like these? I released a library pertaining to it a while back. As of now, I have a few libraries hidden on the hub that pertain to it. I haven't created demos or documentation, but I'm pretty sure it's self-explanatory. If not, give me a shout, but here you go. Each library is necessary to use the next.

HDK Mouse And Keys
HDK Pixel HUD
HDK Draggable HUD

P.S. I'm really sorry, FA, for shamelessly plugging in your comments. I just realized that it might be kind of a dick move. Anyway, nice library. Continue to churn out quality work man, we sure need it around here.
Ah, thank you for your text thingy. I've been trying to make a font that looks neat on screen. This is a time saver. May I use your trebuchet-8pt.dmi? Again, thanks and more power!
Jemai1 wrote:
May I use your trebuchet-8pt.dmi?

Absolutely.

Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
I'm really sorry, FA, for shamelessly plugging in your comments. I just realized that it might be kind of a dick move.

Not a problem, I'd have probably done the same thing =)
There's one thing that I didn't really explain and don't have a demo for, so it might not be obvious:

There are two ways to display or hide a HudGroup for a player. You can make the HudGroup visible, add a client to it, and call the group's hide() or show() procs. You could also create the HudGroup and call the add() and remove() procs to add/remove clients.

The second method can be used with multiple players to conserve objects and time. For example, if you created a global minimap and you want players to be able to toggle its display, you'd create a single HudGroup and add/remove clients from it. If you gave each player their own local "radar-style" minimap that shows nearby mob positions relative to theirs, this wouldn't be a global object - each player would have their own HudGroup instance and you'd call hide() and show() to manage its display.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
(...)

Haha I was about to comment on your most recent blog post asking if you're a wizard for releasing this the same time I asked for it.

That's ideal, thank you.
it be easier to use a single obj, and attach images onto that object, like silk said images are alot faster than hud objects and ive been using image huds for a long time.
Darker Emerald wrote:
it be easier to use a single obj, and attach images onto that object, like silk said images are alot faster than hud objects and ive been using image huds for a long time.

Do you mean a single screen object that you attach images to? Or a single object that's placed on the map and has images attached to it?
yup, a single object than attach images to it.
single screen object*
That's how the text is currently created, by attaching images to a screen object.
Page: 1 2