Original Hub Lands of Legend

by Ginseng
Original Hub Lands of Legend
Immerse yourself in an in-depth world of monsters, heroes, and great treasure as you wander the Lands of Legend!
ID:1211670

Keywords: gm, has, i, kin, review

I will openly admit that I don't particularly enjoy role-play games. I find the idea of having to write out what a simple game mechanic/system can handle in a second using numbers/variables/parameters much more appealing. With that said land of legends at least looks decent and handles well enough. I even enjoined my short time alive as a drug addicted shitty thief wolfman.

Upon looking at the creation screen, although pretty barren looks nicer and more stylized than a multitude of buttons and arrows for what kind of spikey hair you want. However, upon trying to click the other races I found I was unable to. I had to click cancel after selecting a race to go ahead and select another race. To clarify, upon clicking a race on the top of the window, to view and potentially select another race you have to click cancel on the bottom of the screen then click the desired race. Seems a bit redundant/clucky when you could just click the other races outright.

I like the look of the GUi/HUD elements, it's a shame with the window minimized I didn't see them until I realized via text being cut off that there was a crap-ton of hud I was not seeing. Speaking of crap ton of HUD/GUI, each one sets the player into a specific "mode" for doing something, such as "pick-up mode" or "combat mode". Again, feels a bit clunky, there are corresponding keys on the keyboard for each HUD so you don't have to go around clicking but they seem to be all over the keyboard. The point of multiple forms of controls is to make it easier for anyone's preferred input; both ways seem "meh" at best.

I like the removal of the bar at the bottom of the window, it's always an eye-sore BUT there's a reason for it being on the bottom- or maybe I'm just used to the default bar, but I think the hover-over-name-bar (for a lack of a better name) would work better bellow the map element.

Now I tell you the story of Jittai Jackalsmasher the Wolfman. I spawned in naked, but furry, so I guess it's an even trade off. The game tells me my particular race is suggested for only experienced roleplayers as I can ruin other's experience. "Well shit... I wish the game warned me." I thought. I didn't read the entire race description but perhaps the game needs to have some red text in race selection to warn you.

Anyway, I seemed to have spawned in a snowy area next to a polar bear, so I proceeded to engage it in "role play combat" as it was a NPC I didn't see a point in calling it a son of a whore or anything trashy; I tried clicking it with combat mode on but from what I can tell once you click it once you just sit there as you both start to bleed mildly to higher levels of bleed'ness. This is extremely boring and not at all engaging, even for a roleplay game the bear doesn't "lunge at you with it's towering body" or anything it just "attacks" you.

I proceeded to run with my literal tail in between my legs, in to the jaggedly bordered forest nearby. I suggest the author find some tile-joining libraries to mellow out those harsh transitions. I forage for mushrooms and as it turns out some of them get you high. I kept eating them and was pleasantly surprised to find that my entire screen rotated ever so often causing me to stumble and even walk upon the same chest over and over. I decided to loot this chest and took all of whatever was inside. I stumbled on two more chests and looted them as well to pay for my expensive drug habits.

I wandered into what appeared to be a manmade road and home in search of adventure I only found one angry as fuck priest who attacked me right away, so I decided to put up my dukes. I proceeded to bleed horrifically and run like a wuss only to finish bleeding out a few tiles away from the church dropping all my drugs and gold and loot.

R.I.P.
Druggy Thief Wolfman.
R.I.P.

All jokes aside, the game looks decent enough. The art and pixel work could use a bit more work on them and the login message states the author is looking for artists. However, the controls are just "ugh" and other noises a dying man make.

The controls need a lot of streamlining in my opinion they are really clunky and annoying to use- especially when handling picking up items and eating them to get high, having to cycle though pick-up mode, inventory windows and eat mode.

Overall, I like the feel of the game and it has a decent enough style, but the interfacing issues and game controls really break the flow of the game. The mechanics and systems are there so they should be refined.

Hello. I'd like to thank you giving the game a try and for the review you gave.

This game is pretty old now (the 2009 date on the hub is inaccurate) and the original author hasn't worked on this game in quite some time. Over the past few years, others (including myself) have taken up improving the game to make it what you played, and we have since all quit to work on other projects (one of these projects hoped to be the successor of this game created by a friend of mine). I'm definitely not happy with the quality of the game, and I agree with many of the criticism and comments you gave, but I like to believe it is much better than it was.

When involved in a roleplay with other players, I believe the little quirks of the game can soon be gotten used to and it is still quite fun. I wish that you would have had a better experience, and I invite you to come and give the game another try sometime (perhaps as a better race next time, Wolfmen are terrible in my opinion).
I was not aware of it's age, I sort of rarely look at the site any more so I just picked games I never seen before to try out. I'll give it another go, perhaps as a human.