ID:121178

For those of you who are curious what 3d models rendered down to a sprite might look like in Prism, here you go:

Photobucket

This is the base model wearing a set of pauldrons. I'll have more to show soon. I plan to be have a video demonstration of how the inventory and equipment system works by the end of the week. Stay tuned!
Awesome! You're taking BYOND to a whole new level.
Cool!
Do I smell a Diablo type game? Also what do you/ your artist use to make 3d models?
Rockeyx2 wrote:
Do I smell a Diablo type game?

Yes =). If you take modern MMO dungeon crawling/raiding concepts and combine them with Diablo II, then I think you can imagine what Prism will be like.

Rockeyx2 wrote:
Do I smell a Diablo type game? Also what do you/ your artist use to make 3d models?

Forgot to answer your question. My artist is using Maya to create the models. I'm using a program called SpriteWorks to render down the models into sprite sheets. I'm making tile sets using a combination of Photoshop and WorldCreator software.
Looks good. How is the game performing under BYOND?
Exploshun wrote:
Looks good. How is the game performing under BYOND?

Running into some small issues with layering. If it can't be fixed before I'm ready to alpha test, I'm sure I can develop a work-around.
NefariousDevelopment wrote:
Rockeyx2 wrote:
Do I smell a Diablo type game?

Yes =). If you take modern MMO dungeon crawling/raiding concepts and combine them with Diablo II, then I think you can imagine what Prism will be like.

:O Awesomeeeeeee

One more question! Is this game Pay to play or free to play ?
Nice. The good old-fashioned pre-rendering technique that even some great games used before 3D Acceleration became a big deal. :D
What kind of layering issues?
I had a few layering issues with Feed that I managed to get around.
Free to play, with a subscriber system. There will be cosmetic and non-power increasing benefits for people who are willing to pay. I'll elaborate more on this system later.
This isn't especially new with BYOND games; there have been a few in the past with rendered graphics (like my GIAD).

Your artwork looks pretty good. I would advise you against using the built in BYOND isometric, since it's actually pretty terrible (especially with displaying elevation).

I think you should try including a shadow for your player. Render that shit out and give it an appropriate alpha

It may be a little challenging when it comes to finding a lighting system, if you are looking for a lighting system.

Forum_Account's would destroy the illusion of height and mine will shade your stuff very basically but might actually make your textures look a bit worse.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
This isn't especially new with BYOND games; there have been a few in the past with rendered graphics (like my GIAD).

Your artwork looks pretty good. I would advise you against using the built in BYOND isometric, since it's actually pretty terrible (especially with displaying elevation).

I think you should try including a shadow for your player. Render that shit out and give it an appropriate alpha

It may be a little challenging when it comes to finding a lighting system, if you are looking for a lighting system.

Forum_Account's would destroy the illusion of height and mine will shade your stuff very basically but might actually make your textures look a bit worse.

I'm planning on pre-rendering shadows of all models using a tool I am making.

NefariousDevelopment wrote:
I'm planning on pre-rendering shadows of all models using a tool I am making.

A tool you're making? Are these your models?
If they're your models you should have no problem with rendering shadows :|
Of course they are my models. Prism has a lot of equipment and tons of animations, and 8 different directions. I've been automating as much of the process as possible.
Wow, this looks amazing. Brings back memories of The Sims.

Congratulations, keep up the good work.
Shadows would help a lot. They don't have to be precise, rendered shadows - just dark blobs would do. The way it is now, it doesn't look like the player or the walls are actually touching the floor.
Forum_account wrote:
Shadows would help a lot. They don't have to be precise, rendered shadows - just dark blobs would do. The way it is now, it doesn't look like the player or the walls are actually touching the floor.

Agreed. I'll try to have something to show for shadows soon.
This looks amazing! I am particularly jealous of your inventory and equipment display.