CauTi0N wrote:
An IDE won't give you motivation to program.

On the contrary, one of the things that made programming Java fun was because the IDE ( Eclipse ) was so darn awesome. Dream Maker on the other hand looks like it was created when I was born. There is no pizazz to it - it couldn't get any more basic.

Even simple things, like an actual button ( maybe a green arrow ) to represent compile would be nice. But no, I have to hover over Build and choose the compile option, or hit CTRL+K. That's too much work, I tell you! Too damn much!
EmpirezTeam wrote:
CauTi0N wrote:
An IDE won't give you motivation to program.

On the contrary, one of the things that made programming Java fun was because the IDE ( Eclipse ) was so darn awesome. Dream Maker on the other hand looks like it was created when I was born. There is no pizazz to it - it couldn't get any more basic.

Thought I'd roll in to agree with the general sentiment here. Eclipse has me pretty well sold, because the feature-set means I spend very little time having to seek and search for things, and so I spend more time on actually doing code.

I can organise my code as ingeniously as I like in DreamMaker, but answering thoughts like "Ahh okay, lets look at what's going on in /that/ procedure I'm calling then" is still a task that requires my intellectual input in DreamMaker.

In Eclipse, I hit F3 on the procedure where I currently am. I am now staring at that procedure's definition. No thought expended, as it's pretty much a habitual reaction to that train of thought occurring, as well. So bad in fact, that I hit F3 on DreamMaker and stare dumb-founded as nothing happens.

That's just one feature. Lets not get started on built in documentation thumbnails, auto-completes, refactoring tools and my ultimate Eclipse fanboy tool Ctrl + 1 (quick fix). Works on compile errors, warnings, resource errors, procedure calls, variables ... everything.
I do have a minor issue with this otherwise awesome project, and I think I did note it before. I can't use it, really. As I'm on Linux.
The thing I want most is a new interface editor. With layers. That you can just drag around to switch their layer order. In a little window like Photoshop/GIMP/what have you.

Oh, and losing the whole bunch of buttons down the bottom that I'll never be able to memorize the meaning of, ever.
Stephen001 wrote:
I do have a minor issue with this otherwise awesome project, and I think I did note it before. I can't use it, really. As I'm on Linux.

I believe ExPixel mentioned looking into the Mono framework for making this work on other platforms than Windows .NET.
The exact comment was:

ExPixel wrote:
Concerning this going cross platform...I'll have to look into MONO and seeing how long it would take to switch over.
Forum_account wrote:
This only supports .dm files? No map or icon editing?

DM's code editor is pretty good. If it was that important, the BYOND staff could add tabs much more easily than you can recreate the whole IDE and add tabs.

I could see justification for making a standalone .dmi editor. There are lots of features the built-in icon editor doesn't have. It'd also be pretty easy to make since .dmi files are just .png files. It also might be handy to have the icon editor be standalone because you could easily alt+tab back and forth between icons and code.

You kill joy >_>

I'll use this over the actual editor for code. And copy and paste it in DM when I need to make maps/icons. The thing I like about this the tabs for one. Makes organizing this a lot easier. The numbered lines. I know DM has it so you can see the arrows when you tab but I prefer these numbered lines like in Notepad++
Neblim wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:

^ My biased complaint against using stupid C#. When DMIDE was coming out, that was the only real reason to support it over the original at the time (besides the potential for more IDE features).

DMI editor? I rather use GIMP.

I use GIMP as well. Hi5 for GIMP
Neblim wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:

^ My biased complaint against using stupid C#. When DMIDE was coming out, that was the only real reason to support it over the original at the time (besides the potential for more IDE features).

DMI editor? I rather use GIMP.

I could always use Mono, then it would be cross platform...with C#.
Yeah, provided Mono implements all the stuff you end up using. The awkwardness you have currently is you'll plow ahead with a full .NET 4.0 feature-set, and later find some of it will never be supported in Mono by their developer choice.

Kinda means partial re-writes on your part or just not supporting Linux. As for Mac people, I dunno how arduous that Mono install process is.
Stephen001 wrote:
Yeah, provided Mono implements all the stuff you end up using. The awkwardness you have currently is you'll plow ahead with a full .NET 4.0 feature-set, and later find some of it will never be supported in Mono by their developer choice.

Kinda means partial re-writes on your part or just not supporting Linux. As for Mac people, I dunno how arduous that Mono install process is.

I haven't used anything that Mono doesn't have. But the only problem I have with making this cross platform is that it will take time and I'm not sure if it's worth it. BYOND only works on Windows anyway and I would expect that anyone who has Dream Maker is either running windows or a Windows VM.
Forum_account wrote:
This only supports .dm files? No map or icon editing?

DM's code editor is pretty good. If it was that important, the BYOND staff could add tabs much more easily than you can recreate the whole IDE and add tabs.

I could see justification for making a standalone .dmi editor. There are lots of features the built-in icon editor doesn't have. It'd also be pretty easy to make since .dmi files are just .png files. It also might be handy to have the icon editor be standalone because you could easily alt+tab back and forth between icons and code.

This is only a demo. I've been working on everything else but right now the code editor is my top priority.
That's fair. There is something of a catch 22 situation with regard to other platforms though. Because there are no tools on Linux for DM, no-one thinks it's worth it. I think you will be rewarded in users by supporting Linux, as I can happily support playing BYOND games with Wine for example and not with a VM.

I can also use DreamMaker that way, but I wouldn't be able to use DMIDE via Wine, as the .NET support just isn't doable under Wine. For that, I need Mono. This is literally a deal-breaker for me, and I'm sure for a few other users also.
Stephen001 wrote:
That's fair. There is something of a catch 22 situation with regard to other platforms though. Because there are no tools on Linux for DM, no-one thinks it's worth it. I think you will be rewarded in users by supporting Linux, as I can happily support playing BYOND games with Wine for example and not with a VM.

I can also use DreamMaker that way, but I wouldn't be able to use DMIDE via Wine, as the .NET support just isn't doable under Wine. For that, I need Mono. This is literally a deal-breaker for me, and I'm sure for a few other users also.

Gotcha, well I guess a switch is in order.
ExPixel wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:

Gotcha, well I guess a switch is in order.

I guess I'll download Mono and port the code then :|
Playing with it a little more there are some minor things wrong I assume will be fixed since this is just a demo. Compiling with an empty file crashes the program. You can't create new .dmi files. And I can't compile. Of course that might be because I didn't set compiler location.
Enzuigiri wrote:
Playing with it a little more there are some minor things wrong I assume will be fixed since this is just a demo. Compiling with an empty file crashes the program. You can't create new .dmi files. And I can't compile. Of course that might be because I didn't set compiler location.

I know about those problems, not very hard to fix. You can't create any types of files either.
Still though. I like it better than dream maker which looks like someone just put a sheet of paper in my face and says CODE DAMMIT CODE.

This feels user friendly.
Neblim wrote:
ExPixel wrote:

BYOND only works on Windows anyway and I would expect that anyone who has Dream Maker is either running windows or a Windows VM.

1) This will no longer hold true when the flash client is released.

2) Dream Daemon already supports Linux.

So one more shove with the IDE, I will consider Byond a viable possibility for me.

I use GIMP as well. Hi5 for GIMP

*Hi5*

Flash client.
I may as well just put more work into the DM IDE that I've been writing that runs within a browser window.
Page: 1 2 3 4