Corax Software wrote:
Empirez, what I'm saying is that there isn't a problem. So what if people enjoy modifying their CSS? So what if they like making bases? Who are you to judge?

What's wrong with that behavior is that it doesn't belong in a game development community. There are plenty of decent and valid posts that just don't help this community - some even hurt it. We're supposed to reject this bad content, that's how the community will improve.

The problem is that we're greatly outnumbered and we have a lot of dopes saying "but that's my 'net dream', i can build whatever i want!". If BYOND is ever going to be a community of semi-serious hobby game developers, we need to get rid of these people somehow.
I wouldn't go that far because I believe that they can change. I was one of those people once. Now I actually try to make games. What happened to me is that I realized nothing was getting done, and if I wanted to "Build my own net dream," I was going to have to learn to program. I tried learning off of the "Davin Naruto Source." It didn't work. So after a bunch of posts and Garthor being so bloody epic by helping (helping in the way that usually makes the newer guys in the dev forums shout, "YOU'RE NOT HELPING! CODE PL0X!") I am now slightly above total novice programmer.

Seriously though, if there were blog posts for serious game development, this would not be one of them. In all honesty, this is pretty much a rant.
I just said we have to get rid of them. If we get rid of them because the change and become decent people, that's fine too.

It's possible for those people to change but there's no way to make them change. The community just has to reject their behavior until they realize on their own that what they're doing isn't actual game development.
Corax Software wrote:
Empirez, what I'm saying is that there isn't a problem. So what if people enjoy modifying their CSS? So what if they like making bases? Who are you to judge?

It is the journey, not the destination.

I personally think the only problem here is :

"Hate is part of my job description."

There is a problem. There are communities for everything. Games, videos, art, music, etc. If you go to a gaming development website, you expect to see blogs pertaining to just that - game development. But, because rarely anyone does blog about that, we've adopted the idea that BYOND is a game/social network site. That's why we have Tiberath blogging about cats, A2J2TIWARI blogging about a book he wrote, and even me blogging about how much I dislike Valentine's Day. I've been to a lot of game development websites, and BYOND is the only one where this goes on. Every other website has people who consistently make relevant blog posts.

The problem isn't that they like CSS and bases. I don't give a damn about what other people like. The problem is, instead of going to a music community, or a cat community, or a book community, we blog about it here and essentially flood the front page with irrelevant ramblings.
Well, one could have two types of blog postings, gaming and non-gaming. But you and I both know that these posts of non-development (base icon) would just be posted in gaming anyway. Then you'd need a team to filter and blah.

Personally, I have no problem with these scattered postings, really. I have a problem with people promising game development and not following through. When you make a base icon and say, "Let's start the game now" it shows me that you're not really trying to make a game (or if you are, you have a very peculiar method. Creating icons for a game that does not exist!) THAT is my problem. I'm guilty of doing this too, but I try my hardest to keep working on my games on weekends or during my free time (should it ever return...)
Instead of meticulously searching through every post about posts about things not getting done and raging in the comments, just don't look there.
Corax Software wrote:
Easy fix, choosing company ;)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/55275658.png

Your fix is to ban 1. A troll with a point. 2. One of the most helpful people for BYOND and 3. A muse who only posts because they find themselves funny from posting on your site? Bravo chap!
Debate Tactics 101: If you can't win an argument, ban the other person to save yourself from future embarrassment.

A random turd who just joined the community days ago thinks someone cares about his blog. He'll announce projects he can't finish, make the occasional CSS blog post, and ultimately realize he has nothing to offer anybody on the site and fade away like the rest of the turds on this site. Not the first, and won't be the last.

Let the kid have his fun and pretend he owns a company ( hence the sad attempt to be professional "Corax Software" username ). He'll hopefully grow out of his retardation eventually.

And yeah, banning F_A is like, one of the dumbest things you can do on BYOND. Then again, you're a turd as I just pointed out so I doubt F_A could help someone like you until you start taking your medication again.
Corax Software wrote:
I believe in personal freedom so I don't want to take part in such a narcissistic view of the community.

I believe the point is that you are free to post what ever you wish on your blog as long as it follows the Terms of Service. But because this is a gaming community, the front page should be reserved for actual game development news.
Corax Software wrote:
EmpirezTeam & Lugia319

Eh, u mad bro's?

I'm banned from several blogs on BYOND - just about all of them are blogs I couldn't care less about. Unless you're someone like F_A who actually contributes and starts nice discussions, I don't care if I'm not able to speak on your blog. And since the most you've proven capable of thus far is blog posts about CSS layouts and gaussian blurs, I don't think I'm mad about not being able to comment on your entries.
Lugia319 wrote:
Well, one could have two types of blog postings, gaming and non-gaming. But you and I both know that these posts of non-development (base icon) would just be posted in gaming anyway. Then you'd need a team to filter and blah.

There's already some categorization of posts being done. Some posts are displayed on the developer page, some are displayed on the games page. It's not that we need ways to view only those types of posts, it's that we need to get rid of the way to view all posts. To anyone unfamiliar with the site, they'd think BYOND was some kind of myspace for anime fans.

Corax Software wrote:
Forum_Account I think you summed it up pretty well. Basically your thoughts are that everyone else's net dreams need to be at your own personally set standard or they should be deleted.

Things don't have to match my standards, they have to match the community's standards. Because BYOND is a game development community, that means posts should be about game development. People who post about their CSS and base icon but never make games aren't actual game developers, and they make the community look bad. There's nothing wrong with those posts, they just don't benefit BYOND so Lugia, Empirez, and myself are correct to point that out.
Page: 1 2