BYOND's dreadful community has bred the most abhorrent mindset towards development that is completely unable to be fixed. Anytime anyone points out that it may have to do with the infestation of spoiled little brats who steal each other's source codes just so they can own the next big fan game, people fly out of the woodworks in their defense with claims such as "WHY DO YOU HATE ANIME, IT ISN'T THEIR FAULT" and "WHY DOES EVERYONE BLAME FAN GAMES?" Why are people so ignorant to the fact that BYOND has the absolute worst game development community? Other development sites would not tolerate stealing each other's source codes, and they certainly don't tolerate fan games either. BYOND holds the monopoly on derivative works from [POPULAR VIDEO GAME] and [POPULAR ANIME].

It may feel that BYOND caters to original games, but it's fooled you into thinking this. The majority of its playerbase is comprised of the very people that are undermining it, and BYOND cannot afford to tell them to go piss up a rope because they are its main source of income. They have to be allowed to stay visible on BYOND, or else the well would run dry very fast. But it seems that's already happening anyways.

It has been stated over and over that those who make original games should look outside of BYOND for a playerbase, because the people already here sure don't want to play your original game. They'd rather continue to stagnate BYOND. That's their prerogative, who are we to say what they can and cannot enjoy? But even then, people won't play your game, because they know what BYOND is. While I don't know for sure, I'd have to guess that when SilkWizard advertised NEStalgia to the world he very briefly and sheepishly mentioned "oh yeah, you need to download this client called BYOND to play." If you'll notice, SilkWizard also packed his stuff up and left the actual BYOND site, using his own forum, offsite blog, and website that tracks NEStalgia servers instead of using BYOND and its hub. And I don't blame him, I wouldn't want my playerbase seeing the embarassingly bad community that wraps around BYOND, slowly choking the life out of it. Same goes for the goons over on SS13, they have their own offsite place to track servers, so they never have to come here and be subjected to the lethal doses of stupidity.

I've been here for eight years, and it pains me to see how this has all turned out. BYOND's development suite may not be the best, but it's still simple and powerful. It's very possible to produce a quality game despite the limitations. But no, a certain majority of our community would rather thieve and steal instead of learning Babby's First Programming Language. I don't hate BYOND, hell I even like BYOND, or else I wouldn't stick around. But I hate what BYOND IS, and that is a bloated cancerous monster overran by those who do nothing to help benefit it.

BYOND is an acronym for "Build Your Own Net Dream". If my net dream is to undermine BYOND and make sure it never becomes a well-known and prosperous platform, no one has any right to tell me otherwise. Because no one will.
@NefariousDevelopment:

Wait, do you actually think "Experience may change during online play." means the game's developers have pledged to continually improve the playing experience? That's the boilerplate they stick on because the ESRB can't rate other players' hypothetical future behavior. It means the game's rating doesn't reflect the fact that someone might call you a homophobic slur while trying to simulate a sex act with the "duck" button. That's all.
LordAndrew wrote:
The majority of its playerbase is comprised of the very people that are undermining it, and BYOND cannot afford to tell them to go piss up a rope because they are its main source of income. They have to be allowed to stay visible on BYOND, or else the well would run dry very fast. But it seems that's already happening anyways.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I have no idea if this concept has a name, but there's a tendency that when you do some things the wrong way, it's better to just do everything the wrong way. To do some things the right way would be even worse.

This happened to BYOND. BYOND cashes in on people and activities that are detrimental to the community. This is backwards, but there's no way to fix it that doesn't make things worse. Doesn't BYOND get a cut of each game's subscription fees? If you think about how much money NEStalgia generates for BYOND and how much money anime fans generate for BYOND, it would probably only take a few good game developers to offset the entire anime fan population. If the positive game development activities were what generated money for BYOND, it'd be a lot easier to say "fan games and low quality games won't be shown on the site".

What bothers me the most about the presence of such low-quality games on BYOND is that it makes it difficult for the community to grow and push itself further in terms of game development. Most BYOND users are content just to be better game developers than the rippers are. If the BYOND community was able to only focus on high-quality content and try to keep improving things, BYOND could have a lot of talented game developers by now. It has users with potential but it's just not the kind of environment that enables people to reach their potential.
AlexandraErin wrote:
while trying to simulate a sex act with the "duck" button. That's all.

Hey! Teabagging is nothing more than a maneuver of victory - similar to how King Kong beats his chest after he kills a T-Rex!
Forum_account wrote:
Doesn't BYOND get a cut of each game's subscription fees?

Only if you use BYOND's subscription system thingy. If you decide you don't want to use the instant subscriber feature ( or whatever it's called, can't remember at the moment ) you can keep all the money.
LordAndrew wrote:
BYOND's dreadful community has bred the most abhorrent mindset towards development that is completely unable to be fixed. Anytime anyone points out that it may have to do with the infestation of spoiled little brats who steal each other's source codes just so they can own the next big fan game, people fly out of the woodworks in their defense with claims such as "WHY DO YOU HATE ANIME, IT ISN'T THEIR FAULT" and "WHY DOES EVERYONE BLAME FAN GAMES?" Why are people so ignorant to the fact that BYOND has the absolute worst game development community? Other development sites would not tolerate stealing each other's source codes, and they certainly don't tolerate fan games either. BYOND holds the monopoly on derivative works from [POPULAR VIDEO GAME] and [POPULAR ANIME].

It may feel that BYOND caters to original games, but it's fooled you into thinking this. The majority of its playerbase is comprised of the very people that are undermining it, and BYOND cannot afford to tell them to go piss up a rope because they are its main source of income. They have to be allowed to stay visible on BYOND, or else the well would run dry very fast. But it seems that's already happening anyways.

It has been stated over and over that those who make original games should look outside of BYOND for a playerbase, because the people already here sure don't want to play your original game. They'd rather continue to stagnate BYOND. That's their prerogative, who are we to say what they can and cannot enjoy? But even then, people won't play your game, because they know what BYOND is. While I don't know for sure, I'd have to guess that when SilkWizard advertised NEStalgia to the world he very briefly and sheepishly mentioned "oh yeah, you need to download this client called BYOND to play." If you'll notice, SilkWizard also packed his stuff up and left the actual BYOND site, using his own forum, offsite blog, and website that tracks NEStalgia servers instead of using BYOND and its hub. And I don't blame him, I wouldn't want my playerbase seeing the embarassingly bad community that wraps around BYOND, slowly choking the life out of it. Same goes for the goons over on SS13, they have their own offsite place to track servers, so they never have to come here and be subjected to the lethal doses of stupidity.

I've been here for eight years, and it pains me to see how this has all turned out. BYOND's development suite may not be the best, but it's still simple and powerful. It's very possible to produce a quality game despite the limitations. But no, a certain majority of our community would rather thieve and steal instead of learning Babby's First Programming Language. I don't hate BYOND, hell I even like BYOND, or else I wouldn't stick around. But I hate what BYOND IS, and that is a bloated cancerous monster overran by those who do nothing to help benefit it.

BYOND is an acronym for "Build Your Own Net Dream". If my net dream is to undermine BYOND and make sure it never becomes a well-known and prosperous platform, no one has any right to tell me otherwise. Because no one will.

Woah... basicly the speech of the century, folks.
As I expected the moment this post started. There are so many blog post about BYOND political QQing its unreal.
QQ does not mean crying, you know.
Nadrew wrote:

It does in his world.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

It does in his world.
Page: 1 2 3 4