Farewell to one of the best game news blogs there ever was, GameSetWatch. Overlapping content with improving sources have made it redundant. Simon Carless, Eric Caoili and Danny Cowan offered their memories on the site. Recently separated contributor Matthew Hawkins offered his own.
I'm thinking my writing contributions might be obsolete as well. When I wrote Along The Tech Tree, it served to bring readers into the BYOND Strategy guild. When guilds were phased out, BYOND and Within at least offered a way to avoid filtering through the recent blogs for game news. With the site changes on the way, that news can be found in the top posts of dedicated forums. There's even a place for the events I mention in the external links section.
It's not a bad thing. The format is changing and some of my projects may have run their course, but developers should hopefully have an easier time finding direct communication. =)
I'll still be around. I'll just have to figure out more relevant ways to contribute. Maybe I'll even *GASP* manage to release a game again! ;)
- Pay what you want for the Humble Introversion Bundle to receive Uplink, Darwinia, DEFCON and Multiwinia. You'll even get the source code! Those who pay more than the average will also receive Aquaria, Crayon Physics Deluxe and Dungeons of Dredmor.
- Indie Royale's Really Big Bundle offers Really Big Sky, Runespell: Overture, Cthulhu Saves the World, Eufloria and Breath of Death VII. The current price is roughly $4. I've been having quite a bit of fun with Really Big Sky.
- For the next two months, Experimental Gameplay Project is teaming up with 02L > Outside Standing Level to bring the 5 Buttons Competition. Here's last month's "upgrade" roundup.
- The Shibumi Challenge ends on January 31st. Design the best game using the pieces defined by the Shibumi set.
- While "editor" submissions to last month's event are available, Super Friendship Club has yet to announce their next pagent. I'm not late this time. Nyah!
- Remember back in September when I told artists to take a shot at drawing Becky Beacon? That's just one way to enter the Webcomic Beacon 4th Anniversary Giveaway which ends on the 4th. (BTW, AlexandraErin has been mentioned a couple times in the sister podcast Webfiction World.)
- Those learning to program may wish to register for Stanford University's free, uncredited, computer science class which shall be online in February. They're offering quite a few courses for those willing to look around.
- Devin Becker's Ludology University offers design lessons now.
- Josh Bycer made a game design argument based on anime filler with Naruto and DBZ references. Tell me that's not destined to be reposted on BYOND. Liar, I just did it.
- I love it when Eric Schwarz rants about user interfaces.
- Chris Franklin might be feeling frustrated, but I love Errant Signal and the latest episode is no exception. Keep it up!
- It took eight months for this guy to draw a puppy taking a shower. Never trust a pixel purist with your art pipeline! ;)
- Though I lack money, I enjoy feeling like I'm donating to charity. (Ripple is my homepage.) WeTopia might be a Facebook game I'll actually play... Maybe.
- Amanda Lange stated that this is the best internet argument. I lack experience with the games, but I agree.
- Where Are They Now?
It's past US Thanksgiving. That means it's Christmas, right? (Whoa, Hyper Princess Pitch is out!)