ID:122327

BYOND Version:493
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Chrome 16.0.912.63
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
screenshot

There's not much information that I have about this, but I can't imagine it being a mistake on my part. Certain objects that used to be visible are no longer visible, but you can still click on them. The object's icon appears in output controls and the right-click pop-up menu, but it doesn't appear on the map.

Turfs don't seem to have this issue; only mobs and objs that I'm aware of. And it's definitely not a layering issue or my mouse wouldn't be seeing me over the turf.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Unknown

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Unknown.

Expected Results:
Icon is visible.

Actual Results:
Icon is not visible, yet the mouse still reads it.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time, started some time last week.
In other games? Unknown
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
With turfs... Maybe areas, I'm not sure.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Going back to previous versions does not fix the problem, but I've never seen the problem before this time.

Workarounds:
Unknown.
Moving this to Unverified since I'll need a test case to do anything with this report.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I believe issue id:320500 is responsible for this problem, though it will only happen on atoms that have been out of view for a while. However I'm not certain of this, and need some confirmation.

If that is the issue, then to reproduce it you would need to see the atom, move far enough out of view (30-40 tiles should do it) to a place with a minimal change in features, wait 5 minutes, then return. The goal here is to rack up only a small number of unused Appearances (including the obj/mob you're checking), but not enough to trigger the GC to tell the server it's deleting them. Moving only just out of view (by just a few tiles, but more than 1) may or may not do the trick; with objs and mobs the threshold for when they're no longer "in use" on the client is lower than it is for turfs.

However, if this is happening immediately after loading your savefile then my theory is wrong, and this is a different issue. It could be something in your savefile itself. If this happens repeatedly I'd suggest doing a hard reset of your icon with some in-game code (which I always recommend anyway, so as not to save the icon).
In response to Lummox JR
It's been a while and a couple small changes have been made. It doesn't appear to be happening anymore, but it was interesting while it lasted.

It's hard to have a test case for this since I've only ever seen it once, and it hasn't happened since. I'm sure it is (or was) a bug though, because it has existed and should never exist in any circumstance. There's not any DM programming that would ever cause this to happen (on purpose).

Savefiles have no part in this issue. Icons are never saved in any savefiles, and the particular objects shown in the screenshot are never saved (the mob is saved, but never its icon).

Agreed that this is definitely a bug. If you have a test case for this in the future I'll be happy to investigate.