net $1.70

New system $3-($3 * 30%)=$2.10
gross $3.00
net $2.10

Current system $15-($15 * 10%)-$1 = $12.50
New system $15-($15 * 30%) = 10.50

Current system $50-($50 * 10%)-$1 = $44
New system $50-($50 * 30%) = $35

I would never do monthly subs for any of my games. And $3 a month for a sub that only costs $15 a year would be crazy. I don't know of any current BYOND game that is worth $36 a year.

I think the current system works well. It makes sure at least $1 is made and takes 10% extra. Which probably averages out to about 20% already (for the average smaller transactions), but doesn't take massive cuts from larger transactions.

You have to remember that when you take your money out of BYOND, PayPal takes another 4% or something. Then if you make over $600 a year, the government wants a decent percentage as well.

30% quickly turns into 50% overall taken from you. You're also left with majority of the costs.

You make a good point, the $3 a month was just a number that popped in my head and yearly costs weren't considered. I only meant to show that micro transactions benefit, but larger transactions wouldn't, hence "With macro transactions the new system would have a shallow slope of lost profit" (shallow should have been steep)
Actually, we eat the paypal costs, which are generally in the range of $0.30-$0.50 + ~3%. Micro-transactions make us very little.
Tom wrote:
Actually, we eat the paypal costs, which are generally in the range of $0.30-$0.50 + ~3%.

We both do. When I withdraw from the wallet, they take another cut.
The few withdraws I've done had no fees attached to them.
Nadrew wrote:
The few withdraws I've done had no fees attached to them.

Well, I've been withdrawing large amounts from the wallet for a long time now and PayPal takes 3 to 4% every time.
Sorry for repeating the post, but could somebody say when will the Byond Site Update happen? (: Thank you, and I hope it comes soon, it looks awesome, by the way, it'd be cool if BYOND created Byond Memberships for 3 months, 6 months and 9 months ^^ xD
Eternal_Memories wrote:
Sorry for repeating the post, but could somebody say when will the Byond Site Update happen? (: Thank you, and I hope it comes soon, it looks awesome, by the way, it'd be cool if BYOND created Byond Memberships for 3 months, 6 months and 9 months ^^ xD

Within the week, according to Tom.
An example you could look at for monthly payments is magazines. I can't afford $24 for a year subscription to Pop Sci(I end up using the money I'm saving on something I need more..), but I'll usually be willing to pay $5 for a single magazine. Stupid, but affordable for people in my situation. And there are a lot of people in my situation.

One possible solution is to make memberships $5 a month, $15 for 6 months, or $24 for a year, and give a 'renew subscription at end of service' option or something similar, like many games do nowadays. (More logical prices might be $4, $18, $24 - The apparent 'leap'[$1 less a month] between 6 months and a year would draw more players to just buy a year.)

Many people will stay on the monthly service for years without ever logging in just because they can't be bothered to cancel the subscription. I was subscribed to Runescape for 9 years. I played it for maybe 4. :/
It would be nice this way:

- 3 Months: $9 ($3 per month)
- 6 Months: $15 ($2,5 per month)
\or
- 6 Months: $16,5 ($2,75 per month)

- 9 Months: $20 ($2,222... per month)
\or
- 9 Months: $21 ($2,333... per month)

There are tons of sites which would ask for more money per month, think about it, you'd have more players, and more earnings ^^
Tom wrote:
Actually, we eat the paypal costs, which are generally in the range of $0.30-$0.50 + ~3%. Micro-transactions make us very little.

Well, in the examples I've seen, micro-transactions aren't usually something players can pay real money in small amounts. Usually, you pay a flat price from a few choices (e.g. $5, $10, $20) and then you get virtual cash that you can spend in the game's cash shop. The advantage of this to subscriptions is that people can pay again as often as they like, instead of only once a year/month/etc.

In other words, it'd be nice if instead of there just being a boolean flag for whether a player is subscribed or not, that there was an option to store how much money the player has actually paid. (And allow them to pay as often as they like.)

And, developers can make more money by pricing things in their cash shop with uneven amounts, so that players can never spend all of their money. (For example, I've seen Microsoft do this on XBox Live.)
-.- I just want to keep the year thing i don't wanna buy a membership every month this is pointless and a month goes fast ;)
Do you really think month is enough cause personally i don't.
Vegetas4 wrote:
-.- I just want to keep the year thing i don't wanna buy a membership every month this is pointless and a month goes fast ;)
Do you really think month is enough cause personally i don't.

No one is talking about removing the yearly option, they're talking about ADDING a monthly option for people who WOULD prefer it, so if you aren't interested, don't use it.
I'm so excited for the map text addition! That'll make HUDs a lot simpler.
This looks awesome. Good luck!
If the maptext is a hardcoded version of DMI fonts plus or something very similar then I'll be very VERY happy with it.
Well, for years now, Lummy and Tom have expressed interest in having DMIFontsPlus as part of BYOND. Seems like this is it.
If that's the case then it should work very well. DMIfontsplus was only ever limited by the fact that it was a library. This should be much more compatible with byond now.
There are beta builds featuring maptext. Check it out, see if it's like DMIFontsPlus.
It's quite a lot more limited than DMIFonts, like Tom said if you want less generic screen text you're still better off using one of the existing libraries.
The threaded style forum is one of the many unique things about byond, in some occasions its not always best to fit in :)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15