ID:1224065

Redundant
Applies to:Website

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
I realize that alot of people play from the same household, but I do feel that tons of people here make extra ids just so they can "freely" troll others as a licence to say what they want to say however they want to say it without fear of consequence.

By grouping these together people may actually think twice about using fake accounts to post rude or snyde remarks if others can easily see the patterns of their behavior. If for example when a person makes a post it says something like "associated ids: x,x,x" and maybe make a member perk of being immune to having id's associated with your postings.

Just a random thought.
I believe BYOND already does this and has for awhile, which is how the new feature of sticky bans work.

The system was set up a long time ago if I remember correctly.

I have multiple usernames but I only use one, can I have my privacy by not allowing you to see them? I may not want you to see them.

I think moderators should have access to this information and should be using it to moderate the forum correctly but we know they are biased sometimes...
In response to A.T.H.K
Agreed. :)
Why? They already babysit the forums enough as is.

Sometimes, it reflects poorly on you to let people rain on the parades of your community.

Sometimes, though, it's far better to let some parades get rained on in order to help see whiny, self-entitled, sensitive blowhards out the door.

Coddle the forums too much, and we get too many people that can't fend for themselves. Leave it to its own devices, and you wind up with a community of hateful people.

The way I see it, we've got an even mix of both, and that means the admins are doing just about what's necessary.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Why? They already babysit the forums enough as is.

Sometimes, it reflects poorly on you to let people rain on the parades of your community.

Sometimes, though, it's far better to let some parades get rained on in order to help see whiny, self-entitled, sensitive blowhards out the door.

Coddle the forums too much, and we get too many people that can't fend for themselves. Leave it to its own devices, and you wind up with a community of hateful people.

The way I see it, we've got an even mix of both, and that means the admins are doing just about what's necessary.
I as well as a few other people have been personally discriminated against by an admin or two (who shall remain nameless at this point)

It depends on the experience really, if you are considered a part of the "in" crowd, you get treated completely different. If your not, when you defend yourself you get admonished, or your comments deleted, meanwhile the trollish nature of others is allowed because they have friends in high places.

But like I said, the experience differs based on who is the target of scrutiny, and it shouldn't be that way.
Personally discriminated against by an admin or two.

I don't much like the word "discriminated" being used in online communities. In this forum, all people have to go on is your behavior and what you say about yourself. Call it discrimination if you want, but I find it quite liberating to live in a community where WHAT I am is less important to how I am treated than what I have to say, and WHO I present myself to be.

I've known the current admins for a long, long time. And while they can be tough when the situation warrants, they are generally fair. Most of the people who I have seen claim discrimination by mods have been complete and utter morons, who couldn't comport themselves in an appropriate manner despite numerous hours of the admins' time in attempting to help them correct their idiocy.

I'm not saying that's you, but I am saying that in my experience, those who present themselves in a respectable fashion around here are treated far and away better than those who don't, and the more times a mod has to deal with you in a short timespan, the less likely they are to be interested in suspending enforcement of the rules.

But like I said, the experience differs based on who is the target of scrutiny, and it shouldn't be that way.

Yes, it should. In any group, we treat people differently based on their willingness to participate in said group. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people just frankly have more to offer the group than others, and as such, culling them from the herd over something minor is harmful to the group. Meanwhile, some people actively detract from the group, so culling them from the herd the first time they put a toe out of line is not just reasonable, it's completely fair to everyone else.

What's not fair to everyone, is when mods don't enforce their policies despite every reason to do so. Like it or not, you are part of a group when you are here, and you don't get to decide what is best for the group. Reality decides that. Your choices are limited to creating a different group with different circumstances/aims, and therefore, rules, or you continue to participate and accept any repercussions of being contrary to the benefit of the whole.

It depends on the experience really, if you are considered a part of the "in" crowd, you get treated completely different.

I came into BYOND at a different time. It was much, much more cut and dry who was "in", and who was "out". All the gurus knew each other, and were fairly tight, and the skill gap was much higher than it is today between the "in" crowd and the "out" crowd.

I've never noticed definite outing by the people that are admins now that wasn't warranted. I have, on the other hand noticed a tendency that you have to prop yourself and your work up on a pedestal beyond what is warranted. On the other hand, I've seen very few people actually call you out on it. For the most part, I've noticed people tend to handle you with gloves around the forum because you aren't a big enough jerk (Not calling you a jerk, you are actually fairly sincere and make attempts to be kinder rather than crueler, that much is obvious) to warrant taking down a peg or two. A little bit of inflated ego is innocuous, for the most part, and there are far, far, far worse than you on the forums on a daily basis.

Then again, I wasn't there for said discrimination, so who am I to judge? I can only state that it seems inconsistent to be the behavior of a handful of people that I have been observing for going on 12 years now.
In response to Ter13
Several people have noticed it and got the same treatment, for instance the "negativity in byond" post that was going on a few weeks ago.
Needless trolling of people who are new to the community, for no other reason than personal amusement, some of which by people who would be considered more "prominent" members of the community due to how people see them. Yet, in the end in my particular instance, it was discrimination- if I'm defending myself against accusations and arguements that I didn't start and being punished for doing so while the people who are actively seeking to cause disruption get off with a "ha ha that was funny" or a slap on the wrist, that's discrimination. It's discrimination when, for some time after said occurance, I get heavily monitored, have my comments and posts removed and deleted while other people saying much worse and far more ignorant things do not, their comments persist(and that went on for months). It only occurs with certain people and certain mods but it does occur. Likewise there are people who actively try to get in good with said mods because they know the habits of these people.

I'm well aware what it feels like to be discriminated against and I'm pretty sure I can spot it when I see it, it is what it is.
Honestly and this comes from experience use the support form I've been banned for making comments like those by one mod 3-4 times.. And yes that was descrimination, I am unsure if that mod has been punished by Tom. Tom did mention he would talk to the mod in question, but then awhile after that I was banned again for nothing and Tom even agreed it was not a suitable reason to be banned.

I wouldn't expect to get any acknowledgement from Tom here as he seems to keep issues like this out of the community hence why I mentioned the support forum, he is an understanding guy just don't expect too much to happen.

[EDIT] note to self turn off auto correct
I think this feature is already implemented, of a sort?

Certainly, the visibility of this data isn't there, though. I wouldn't really recommend making that data visible, either, as it has historically had a bit of a tendency to be wrong, due to people logging into each other's accounts for testing, help etc. They aren't really recommended practice, but you know ... people will do what they do.

From a moderative perspective, that data does drive our "sticky ban" option. It's actually very rarely used, though, except for spammers, as truth be told, there's really not all that many of you here these days and big issues are quite rare.

In terms of say ... assessing a pattern of behaviour, like trolling, we tend to know who is who. Or ... if we do not, we sticky ban the offending key and the main one associated gets caught too. I've used this to good effect a few times, and had the person crawl along to me on the pager to ask to be unbanned, allowing for a proper discussion about behaviour to ensue.

Given this, I'd like to mark this as redundant, if that's alright?
Falcon lazorz wrote:
And another pointless post is done away with.

Yet one righteous man was not enough to save the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. My point is that , yes it's redundant, but necessary whether or not action is taken. The difference between man and beast is our ability to reason. Boundaries get overstepped when we give in to our base instincts and act like animals. All it boils down to is a lack of self control or unwillingness to control one's self. And you know what society calls people like that? Criminals, murders, rapists,-- politicians. It all starts with what you carry inside and how you choose to use it.

Most people will do and say whatever they feel they can get away with when they think no one is watching and no one cares, and that is how you see the true character of someone for the most part.

The issue is redundant but coming up with a solution to make people accountable for their actions is not, nor is it out of reach, it's done on "healthy" community web forums all the time.
Stephen001 resolved issue (Redundant)