ID:122892

Keywords: animations, prism, video
Here's a quick video preview of the human male character performing some combat animations.

Make sure to watch it in high-definition if your internet connection permits.

[edit]Many of you have commented on the frame issue. I sympathize and agree, but I can't increase the frame rate at this time. Please see this issue:
http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=3674
Looks great
I really enjoyed this. (:
+1
Great job!
How many frames are in the attack animations? They look stiff.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
How many frames are in the attack animations? They look stiff.

I have to agree, they do look a tad stiff.
Looking good for the most part.

I think that the sword swinging animation needs one or two more frames (or it needs some fancy motion blur effects with the sword to make up for the small number of frames).
The stabbing animation is fine, I suppose, but another frame or two or the motion blur effects couldn't hurt.
Thanks for the comments, everyone. As I've explained in previous posts, the reason for the terrible frame rate per animation is because of technical limitations with BYOND. The DMIs are simply using up too much memory. There's two problems, as far as I can tell.

1) The RAM cost of DMI's is too DAMN high. (sorry for the corny meme. I couldn't resist)
2) BYOND starts randomly crashing when high amounts of memory are being used. I'm not sure why.
However, I should clarify something. If memory becomes a non-issue (which I sincerely hope that it does, because if it doesn't I will have to contemplate reducing the frames further or taking my project directly to Flash), it is a simple process for me to render down the sprites at a higher frame rate. The process of creating the sprites would probably take me 2 days or less.

Vote this up if you'd like to see higher-frame rates:
http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=3674
Holy testicle Tuesdays Batman!! It's a professional looking game on BYOND!!!

Aside from the seemingly randomly placed chunks of HUD, it looks pretty nice. The animations do seem a bit stiff, but if it's due to limitations with BYOND, there's not much to be done about it.

I'm actually looking forward to this. What's the plan for marketing, if one exists yet?
NefariousDevelopment wrote:
2) BYOND starts randomly crashing when high amounts of memory are being used. I'm not sure why.

I've experienced this myself, but I still find 5 to 10 frame animations across 16+ directions for numerous objects to still work fine in my projects with rendered graphics.

Dreamseeker, for me, doesn't crash until it reaches ~1200mb of RAM. I've only ever managed to do that in one situation, and it was in an experiment. In that experiment though, it's generating a new icon every tick... And only in that situation could I get Dreamseeker to crash from using too much RAM (actually I think it's crashing from overflowing the cache. it's one or the other)
This looks very Diablo-esque. I hope you get this further into production. It's looking really good.
Reminds me of the first Diablo significantly. I'm sure others have said this too - I didn't read comments.
Robertbanks2 wrote:
Holy testicle Tuesdays Batman!! It's a professional looking game on BYOND!!!

Aside from the seemingly randomly placed chunks of HUD, it looks pretty nice. The animations do seem a bit stiff, but if it's due to limitations with BYOND, there's not much to be done about it.

I'm actually looking forward to this. What's the plan for marketing, if one exists yet?

Hey, the HUD seems randomly placed because it is meant to be moved by the user.

I will be making improvements to the HUD for sure, but the best thing about the HUD is that it's malleable. I plan on basing the default HUD off from end-game raiding UI's for popular MMOs. I myself have been involved in that scene, so I'm very familiar with what kinds of information players need to see. The thing is, every player is going to have a different idea of what the ideal HUD should look like.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Dreamseeker, for me, doesn't crash until it reaches ~1200mb of RAM. I've only ever managed to do that in one situation, and it was in an experiment. In that experiment though, it's generating a new icon every tick... And only in that situation could I get Dreamseeker to crash from using too much RAM (actually I think it's crashing from overflowing the cache. it's one or the other)

Hey D4RK3,
Prism's memory consumption is already pushing about 580mb when crashes start occurring. The computer I'm testing this on has 8gb of ram. I'm at a loss because I don't know what's worse: the fact that my <20mb worth of DMIs are taking 580mb of RAM or that Dream Seeker is crashing due to the memory consumption. I have 8gb of ram, but I don't expect the players of Prism to have 8gb of ram.

My sprites have some extra padding of transparent pixels, mostly because BYOND doesn't support big icons in isometric view, and otherwise I would have layering issues with the icons that protruded outside the characters normal icon size. These transparent pixels don't seem to take up much/any extra disk space, but I'm assuming they're the culprit for the RAM usage. Also a culprit is the fact that the entire DMI's are loaded as soon as they are placed on the map, rather than chunks as they are needed.

Prism icons have 12 iconstates of 8 directions of about 5-6 frames. When you add up 5 icons worth of equipment + a base character, you're looking at about 580mb of ram usage in Prism.
Looks really good. One gameplay concern I have is the wall height- can players hide behind them and be concealed? That could lead to some pretty bad abuse if they cannot be clicked on but can attack other players.
Jmurph wrote:
Looks really good. One gameplay concern I have is the wall height- can players hide behind them and be concealed? That could lead to some pretty bad abuse if they cannot be clicked on but can attack other players.

Nope, players cannot completely conceal themselves behind walls. Also, you can either click to target or press tab to target the nearest enemy.

Or just use AoE skills. :D
NefariousDevelopment wrote:
Hey D4RK3,
Prism's memory consumption is already pushing about 580mb when crashes start occurring. The computer I'm testing this on has 8gb of ram. I'm at a loss because I don't know what's worse: the fact that my <20mb worth of DMIs are taking 580mb of RAM or that Dream Seeker is crashing due to the memory consumption. I have 8gb of ram, but I don't expect the players of Prism to have 8gb of ram.

That's very strange and distressing. In the projects where I used rendered graphics (isometric and non isometric), I've had fairly large animations... up to 16 frame animations in up to 72 directions. One of these games even made very heavy use of runtime-generated graphics. I have never had any of these games crash regardless of how many objects are on the screen at once, and I've never encountered your problem of crashing because of DMI size (I've even dealt with DMIs that are 5mb individually, which I imagine none of yours are).

Could there be another source for your crashes? How big are your atoms exactly?
Page: 1 2