ID:122936

Not Feasible
Applies to:all

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I want to change my username without making a new account. but i can't do that. So can you allow people to change their usernames? I bet it would make people Happy.
+1
I don't really see an issue with it as long as it is limited in some form or another it could be abused otherwise.

+2
That would actually save BYOND's resources greatly. Anyone who wants to have a new username usually just makes a new account. And one for their Development Team if they wanna do that stuff. Now all they'd have to do is just click a button and have their username changed without taking up another spot in BYOND's database.
I actually think you can get it changed by contacting support, but I'm fuzzy on the deets.
-- I don't support this, honestly. It seems like something that could be easily abused and also present some issues as far as savefiles in games go(particularly server-side saving).

Then again, savefiles could be based around computer_id instead.. I don't know. It just seems iffy.
In response to Kumorii
I think they would be better based around an account number instead of a computer id or name. This means that account names could be changed much easier without worrying about comparison issues.
I'd love to see this added as long as the abuse and issues with save systems that use the persons key could be avoided.

Just think of all the people on here using keys from when they were like 12, and now they're older and would change it but don't want to make a new account; I'd suspect that's pretty common. I know a few people like that.

I also hope, at the very least, Vrocaan is right. I had this on my mind recently because when I joined BYOND I couldn't get my normal email to work, and temporarily messed up my access to my normal username Toddab502; so since I didn't think I'd be on site long I just said screw it and used Toddab503 instead.

I've regretted that for the last year or two now, haha.
I don't see why save files and other similar items couldn't be set around computer id or have a static account id in addition to a variable user name. Yes it would take some set up on the front end, but the resources saved by preventing users constantly making new accounts would be huge.
I agree with Kumorii. This would not be compatible for a lot of older games that won't be recompiled anytime soon in the newer builds. This can also be easily abused.

I'm not sure if they will, but for special rare occasions they have changed the name of some keys. But I wouldn't go throwing a bunch of requests out since it's something that just isn't on a "want" basis and is a need basis.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
-- I don't support this, honestly. It seems like something that could be easily abused and also present some issues as far as savefiles in games go(particularly server-side saving).

Then again, savefiles could be based around computer_id instead.. I don't know. It just seems iffy.

Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
I agree with Kumorii. This would not be compatible for a lot of older games that won't be recompiled anytime soon in the newer builds. This can also be easily abused.

I'm not sure if they will, but for special rare occasions they have changed the name of some keys. But I wouldn't go throwing a bunch of requests out since it's something that just isn't on a "want" basis and is a need basis.

It would be extremely simple to implement. Your key stays exactly the same, I would still log in with "Gold Sora". But now you also have a display name. Old games that will never get updated still show the old key "Gold Sora" and work as intended, while newer games update their code to show our display names instead of our keys.
Personally, I see no reason why the 'key' couldn't change as long as usr.ckey(key) == usr.ckey.
It could theoretically be done, yes. Is it worth it? Nope. Too many different variables and potential situations that wouldn't be worth the effort unless BYOND charged something like $2 per key-change and went with a "Duck it!" attitude to any and all negative situations and outcomes.