ID:1237600

make more of these. stop making boring ass top downs, or laggy ass side scrollers... just, stop. do these instead. or something like FFTactics... Just vary goddamnit, dont all bandwagon the same damn genre and mechanics, just because you're lazy newby programmers ASPIRE in something goddamnit.

goddamnit.
I've had ideas for like, thousands of these kind of games.
point and click RPGs too.

but, I'm lazier than a dead squirrel.
The lack of pixel artists around here is too high... I would love to make a FF Tactics inspired game or even Advance Wars.
no you dont have to make an isometric game, the overworld can be regular top down, but the battle system should be somewhat creative... well you know what i mean, but yeah.
well yeah, that's what i mean. I'm just not into iso, but that's a niche. you have a point, though.
It's not the mapping format that matters. It's the style.

(Large image below: Beware!)

It's about setting a theme and sticking to it, rather than jamming a bunch of generic, eclectic crap into your world. The perspective doesn't really matter if you set up a cohesive world, it'll look better than half the rest of the stuff out there.
That game actually looks interesting and well thought out @Ter13, the rest of you should spend less time trolling and talking shit and more time making games.

the point of this thread is to make everyone realize that making a top down RPG about some beatdown anime, or RESEMBLING some mosh up between dragon ball and naruto or w/e is a BAD idea... And further more, if you try presenting something like this to a game developing company they would flat out laugh in your face.

end of.
I've had so many ideas to make some games like that xD. Sadly a lot of people here say it won't be all that fun or interesting.
^ Lies you never wanna make turn based games.
In response to ImmeasurableHate
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
^ Lies you never wanna make turn based games.

The first games i played were turn based. I love turn based games, but there isn't much button smashing hence why people are always against it, it doesn't match the byond style how people run around keyboard smashing zxcv. But games like Nes w/e made it good imo. So why wouldn't i want to make one x_x like i've told you before i would rather do a clicking game like runescape then a keyboard smashing game but meh x_x people like this more right?
Zete wrote:
Lol go work on your overrated top down RPG, something i've definetly NEVER seen before on byond! a hack and slash in medieval setting! :O you're such a great game designer bro...

I don't understand what your point is. You've attempted to make multiple hack and slash games yourself. One of your games was inspired by DBZ(that monkey one). The only game you've ever completed was a Pokemon fangame.

I'm just trying to make a game that I've wished was real for a while now. I'm not making it as a BYOND game. Most people outside of the website would probably be interested in a retro take on skyrim with multi-player elements, even if the whole medieval thing is cliche. Whether you think it is overrated or not is moot point; right now the website needs any positive contributions it can get.

Discontinuing games and attacking each other on the forums does absolutely nothing.

Ter13 wrote:
but still very much embroiling yourself in the portion of this community that least contributes to the health and welfare of it.

I suppose this is true. I'm going to just take a break from the forums for a bit and focus on working on my project. Whether or not anyone else does the same is their prerogative.
The only game I've ever compleated? oh I didn't know I was able to code all of a sudden. Yeah, because I can totally start a project at will and end it whenever I want without the need of any other member in my projects team... k.

Do whatever you want, doesn't change the fact that it's a shitty idea, with poor designing and lack of originality. Idc what byond needs, I hate the site and 99% of the people in it, buncha little needy kids that cry for games, but are too lazy to get off their ass and make one.

I love though how hypocrite you are, only working on a project for roughly 5 months and already telling people with much more experience than you how shit is run, with this self rightious sense of omnipotence ;) yutstyle.
Zete, you really need to check yourself on the commentary on epic. I've been invited to play it once, and I have spoken to yut twice now. So I'm not saying this from a perspective of yut's butt-buddy.

if you are really going to suggest that a successful indie game needs to be completely without inspirational precedent, you know nothing about game design and thus have no qualification on the subject.

Successful games target things that people already know they like, and then introduce them to a handful of new things.

Successful interfaces should build on what other games have done before them unless there is good reason to depart from it.

The thing is, we can ask ourselves why the db and naruto games are so popular when they defy standards of game design, player motivation, and interface design. Yet, more people play them than other games on the hub.

Games like naruto and db fangames are only played more than the original games here because we have a limited reach to the wider web, and people don't do well with the site layout. Most people won't download some retro indie game unless they trust the platform, or don't have to make any effort to do so.

In addition, people play what they like. Naruto and dragonball have existing audiences, and as such bridge the gap without effort. Even if the games are awful, they have a selling point that doesn't need to be advertised.

NEStalgia is another example. People gravitate to it because of the retro feel. It is specifically modeled after old 8bit games, and as such, has an existing appeal. It was advertised a little, and as such, gained the reach that it needed to be able to secure a meager following.

The obvious answer is that a unque game with fun mechanics will still be great despite gaphics and design issues. Look at SS13. It's easily the most played game on BYOND, and it's horribly put together.

On the other hand, it does draw people in using a gritty sci-fi atmosphere and lampooning itself with ass hats and clowns.

The thing is, unique soesn't tend to draw people in. It makes them stay, and even then, it can tend to alienate people if the concept is too far-fetched.

Just being inspired by zelda and skyrim is a unique enough, and popular enough basis to really make for a wildly popular game, even if it doesn't innovate at all.

We are indies here, we can't do genre-pushing work, so we need to explore already developed concepts in a deeper and more accessible manner, whilst maintaining a more minimal scope than a professional project.

Yut has done fantastically well, and I can't help but feel your arguments are petty and without weight, far from the realm of helpful, much less appropriate.

I like your work, Zete, but you really should stick to art, because your understanding of the fundamentals of design are at best flawed, and at worst utterly backward.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

I'm rock hard after seeing that.