Maptext + Outline

by Zohan98
A simple library
ID:1240247

/*
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| |
| USAGE: |
| ______ |
| |
| CODE: |
| src.Dyn.add_mt("Message string", "color", "font",maptext_width,maptext_height) |
| NOTICE: |
| for the colors... i went ahead and provided some incoded ones.... you can use the followings: |
| green, orange, yellow, blue, red, purple, pink, white. Or you could use a hex color depending on you... |
| if you do NOT use a color from what i stated above and do NOT use a hex color |
| (meaning not including the "#" in your code number) The proc will automatically assign it |
| to white... |
| EXAMPLE: |
| var/obj/hud = src.Dyn.add_mt("Greetings!","white","Consolas",25,25) |
| hud.screen_loc = "CENTER" |
| src.client.screen += hud |
| By: Zohan98 |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
*/

if the dl link doesn't work besure to try dis:
http://www.filedropper.com/library
Nearly all the same problems as sidescroller.

var{condition=null}
var/hudtext/objtextTL

What is it with you and switching between completely different styles constantly? Pick one and use it, don't just do whatever you feel like doing, real messy stuff.

src

Learn what src means and stop using where you're not supposed to it's driving me insane.

world/New(){..();
color_list["green"] = "#2EFF00";

Why do you randomly start going all Java on me and end your lines with a semi-colon? Are you serious, the line breaks itself, you don't need to tell it, completely redundant artifacts.

objtextBR.pixel_x+=1

This is basic code a beginner should know how to write but for some reason you can't. It's ++ not +=1, that's not hard to remember man... I told you about it yesterday and you released this after I told you about it.

Shows me you really don't care about your code at all. This is another shocking first write up man.
In response to Zecronious
Is there really a problem with var ++ & var +=1? Maybe he's comfortable using +=1 , I tend to do +=1 often because I just like seeing the number beside it. I'm not trying to start anything lol, I'm just basically saying... does it really matter lol..

Now the other stuff, you do have some good points... Listen to this guy Zohan! :P
In response to Flysbad
The reason why it's better is that there are less parts. ++ requires two of exactly the same characters and gives you the same knowledge as +=1 which is made of 3 different characters.

It's common sense to use ++ and it makes life easier for the next people use and write to your code. Standard universal way to increment at the present time is ++ and it works really well. Don't understand why anyone would do +=1 unless they didn't know they could just type ++.
The semicolon is a habit. And is it really a problem if I like to switch ways when it comes defining variables?
In response to Zohan98
There's a difference between writing code that works and writing good code. Go to any decent learning institution and they'll tell you the same. When you're writing code for yourself at home, it doesn't matter, no one cares. When you're writing code for other people to use, then it really matters because people shouldn't have to decipher your work before they can use it. Code should be self explanatory and consistent.

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/ top-15-best-practices-for-writing-super-readable-code/

If you want to be a good programmer you need to create good programming practices or people won't take you or your code seriously.

I see your code and just think oh my god InstaNub. The only reason I didn't leave your code immediately was because people are downloading your source for teaching purposes and you're teaching other people very poor habits.
I'll be sure, to keep that in mind.
Zecronious wrote:
There's a difference between writing code that works and writing good code. Go to any decent learning institution and they'll tell you the same. When you're writing code for yourself at home, it doesn't matter, no one cares. When you're writing code for other people to use, then it really matters because people shouldn't have to decipher your work before they can use it. Code should be self explanatory and consistent.

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/ top-15-best-practices-for-writing-super-readable-code/

If you want to be a good programmer you need to create good programming practices or people won't take you or your code seriously.

I see your code and just think oh my god InstaNub. The only reason I didn't leave your code immediately was because people are downloading your source for teaching purposes and you're teaching other people very poor habits.

This has been a long standing problem with BYOND. It's a library, you're not suppose to be poking through it in the first place. If the code works and it works well, people use it by following whatever documentation is given. I would also like to mention that ++ and +=1 are interchangeable and it's really more about preference. In my opinion +=1 is more readable than ++ because it is more obvious (I still use ++ thought because I can just press the same key twice).
Yeah he's right!
Write your code as shitty as you want then, it won't impact performance and I never said that but everyone will despise using your code or coding with you. I'm talking about other people using his code, I thought you would've read that.
I don't see why having its own style is a bad thing? It's like being +=phobic -__- You don't make much sense, you seem to hate people's style and think that your style is the best? I can guarantee that Galactic Soldier has more Experience than you. You have no proof of saying that those codes are not "Good" codes.