ID:1240271

I'm probably putting this in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure which forum to stick it in.

I'm an ancient developer from the olden days (like 2001) and I made several games, including Survival, and the sequel called Survival: The Lost Era. They are pretty cool games, but by the time I released Survival: TLE, I had moved on and gotten pretty busy.

I was wondering if anyone thought it would be a good, bad, or horrendous idea to release the code and assets for the project. 5-10 years ago this would have been an awful thought as there was substantial ripping problems. I remember DB Zeta and several other major leaks which resulted in all kinds of havoc.

Maybe the community (or at least the filtering on the website) has improved such that it's not an awful idea now? What are your thoughts?
I'd love to take a look at it and see how things are done ^^.
as long as u ban some dickheads from turning it into an anime game!
There have been quite a few popular games that have had their source released by the creators, such as Kumorii's Feed and Yut Put's Zen and original Epic. No havoc has been caused by these (I could say because they aren't anime based so pre-teen children don't want to steal them, but I want to be fair), and I think they are fairly good for learning. I personally rarely, if at all, turn down an opportunity to see how another developer does things.
I believe its a good idea to share the source it gives others a few pointers on how good game is made ;) and following what TheLionsRoar said there hasn't been any Rip havoc for a while besides Anime games like Naruto or Dbz and Bleach
People can learn from such wonderfull games like survival / etc
Feel free to release if you want to. I have been planning to release the source code and/or assets myself to some older projects.

Like you Polatrite, I have also been caught up with other things in life. Though I still do some DM Programming, I lately have been very busy with some other things. Still working out a plan for a future game developed outside of BYOND.
I agree as well. Having some "good" games around to learn from as opposed to very low quality rips are a better idea.

I even for a while thought about releasing some basis code for people who just want to make naruto or bleach style games that was better than what is currently floating around- but didn't really see that panning out very well regardless of how much different the source code was.
The thing about ripped games is not that there's source available to edit somewhere, but that some people can't come up with original ideas. I have seen how a rip is being made from scratch and was tricked into making one for some time.
In short, if there are no rips yet, there probably won't be after you release the source.
Yeah this looks pretty cool.
In response to Martys1103
Martys1103 wrote:
The thing about ripped games is not that there's source available to edit somewhere, but that some people can't come up with original ideas. I have seen how a rip is being made from scratch and was tricked into making one for some time.
In short, if there are no rips yet, there probably won't be after you release the source.

This is the most confused and backward thing I've read today. Good work. I'm impressed.

And no, it's not the lack of creativity that make rips bad. It's that bad practices have been passed on endlessly down the chain of leaked sourcecode, and with each generation, they get more and more bloated and backward, cementing those poor practices.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Martys1103 wrote:

This is the most confused and backward thing I've read today. Good work. I'm impressed.

And no, it's not the lack of creativity that make rips bad. It's that bad practices have been passed on endlessly down the chain of leaked sourcecode, and with each generation, they get more and more bloated and backward, cementing those poor practices.

Definitely a good point Ter13. That was the main reason why I took down the Text City Simulator Version 1 source from public release. It has bad programming practices that could further encourage such practices (being my first project ever released on BYOND).