ID:1241052

Why is it that even nearing v5.0 Dream maker, specifically the icon editor still takes unreasonably long to render larger canvases?
^
It's unbelievable how it also refreshes ALL icon states after you do a small change.
Save all sprites as png's and compile icons at runtime.

No need to bother with the the icon editor!
Zane444 wrote:
render larger canvases

Graphics programs take upwards of 30 seconds to a minute to initialize.

Even large images take a few seconds to load in programs like gimp and photoshop.

Why is that unreasonable that the same would occur in a program that doesn't specifically tout it's graphic editting capabilities?
Dariuc, what graphics program do you know that takes a 10 seconds to render a 128x128 canvas?

i never use dmi for my work i just find it strange that the rest of the software is getting updated, everything but the icon editor.
In response to Zane444
Zane444 wrote:
i just find it strange that the rest of the software is getting updated, everything but the icon editor.

Typical BYOND really, I really think it should be removed from DM anyway you can't beat an actual photo editing tool.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Zane444 wrote:
i just find it strange that the rest of the software is getting updated, everything but the icon editor.

Typical BYOND really, I really think it should be removed from DM anyway you can't beat an actual photo editing tool.

No point in removing it. It's fine for what it does.
In response to A.T.H.K
...what?
In response to A.T.H.K
Ughhhhhh my head, why would the toolset not have the ability to at least create in a basic sense one of the resources the platform needs? As an integrated environment for beginners, having no icon editor is mental.
Shitty icon editor obviously...
In response to A.T.H.K
Beats having no icon editor and having to type up DMI metadata by hand.
For a beginner that's just downloaded BYOND and wants to roll into making a game, it sure does the job of making some basic icons, and sure beats "Oh, I need to grab an icon tool, oh I need to figure out how I can make this thing into a multi-state icon because my game wants that" etc.

Like, I don't even get why you'd not want that available to beginners, it's an entirely logic and sufficient tool for that.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Save all sprites as png's and compile icons at runtime.

No need to bother with the the icon editor!

In response to A.T.H.K
That would be great if everyone neatly packed up their sprites in the same format and made sure each state took up the same amount of space (dimensions). I'm pretty sure SuperAntx was being sarcastic there.
In response to ExPixel
ExPixel wrote:
That would be great if everyone neatly packed up their sprites in the same format and made sure each state took up the same amount of space (dimensions).

That's why you can specify dimensions in most popular program's like photoshop.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
ExPixel wrote:
That would be great if everyone neatly packed up their sprites in the same format and made sure each state took up the same amount of space (dimensions).

That's why you can specify dimensions in most popular program's like photoshop.

Icon states, delays, etc.
The point being why would you actively want a beginner to do this, when the built-in icon editor serves their needs just as well, with more convenience and less read-up on what a DMI is, the metadata format etc.

As Vrocaan said: No point in removing it. It's fine for what it does.
In response to ExPixel
ExPixel wrote:
I'm pretty sure SuperAntx was being sarcastic there.

I wasn't. Now that this bug is fixed it should be even easier to do this.

Really, I think the best option would be to make an in-engine icon editor. You would be able to do so much more than the editor in Dream Maker. You could do things like shift around every frame in an animation set, change the icon's resolution when it already has icon_states, swap colors across entire animation sets, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even think of.

I'd make such an editor myself but I'm already busy with making a replacement for the map editor.
In response to SuperAntx
That looks epic!
In response to SuperAntx
Didn't think you were serious. As Stephen said in his most recent post, that method wouldn't work out well for new users.
Page: 1 2