I've tl;dr most of this topic so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet. Making youtube video tutorials on programming in DM could eventually make some profit for BYOND, however I can't see it making much.

I do think that video tutorials are a great idea though if some of the more knowledgable members are willing to do so. A lot of people will learn better from being guided through it by another person. Can you imagine school if they just gave you a textbook and left you to sit there and learn it on your own? While a video tutorial won't be as hands on as having an actual teacher, it is way more interactive than a wall of text. Then we have the developer help section for those that need a little more help grasping the subject.

Also, having youtube video's allows us to gain more potential developers from outside BYOND. You are much more likely to grab someones attention with a video than you are from linking them to the guide.
I'm keen to see how these video tutorials progress. I'd love to make some, however I'm hopeless with the technical explanations and a lot of people seem to have trouble with the Scottish accent unless I speak slowly and like I'm at a job interview.
In response to Danny Roe
Lol most of the technical explanations came straight from the Guide itself, some of them a little simplified.
In response to Danny Roe
Danny Roe wrote:
I'm keen to see how these video tutorials progress. I'd love to make some, however I'm hopeless with the technical explanations and a lot of people seem to have trouble with the Scottish accent unless I speak slowly and like I'm at a job interview.

I might make some of my own later in my life.
Just going to put this link here so everyone that is following this thread will be sure to see it.

I have a thread in Tutorials & Snippets where I will be posting links to all of the videos as I make them. Last night I put up the second video. Here's the thread:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1247041
Going to hop back on whoever was saying new people don't get help, yet experienced people do; For me that's been backwards. When I was new I had a lot of help, you can look at my topic history and see that. In under a year I went from learning the basics, to now doing pretty much whatever I want.

I find that now, I often times don't get very useful replies when I do face tough problems, so I always solve things on my own.

The guide is fine, nothing in it is 'outdated'. You can use everything it tells you and you wont face any problems. If you think new things should be added to the documents, don't make any more replies here and go ahead, write them up.

That being said, I think video guides are pretty... meh for programming. Having to keep fast forwarding and re-winding is a turn off for me. I believe documented coding classes could be interesting though. Teach some guys in piratepad or something and keep it recorded.
For video stuff:

1. pay for fraps, its not expensive
2. get handbrake (it can convert fraps videos into mov/mp4/anything else
3. ???
4. profit
Actually tbh, when I first joined BYOND, I received no help. Up until June or so last year, I decided to learn DM. So what did I do?

I searched YouTube and found a decent 4 vid series on procs, verbs etc. Then I went abroad and forced myself to eat the guide. I got around half way before jumping head first into the pool and chipping my tooth. Nevertheless after reading the same pages each day I understood it (not that I really had a choice).

When I got back home, I looked at BYOND Res (my favourite place :3) and looked at all the examples I needed.

Then, I went to angel fire and read their tutorial(s).

I was pretty much set after that and looked at open sources, coded my own stuff etc. And tbh, this was only in 2/3 months Max. I then hit the road and began making the Sword Art game I'm making.

The main point of this is that I wouldn't have been able to get this far without the Video tutorials (they really helped) which is why they suit some people better.

The guide isn't chicken poop but it's hard for some to grasp right off the bat which is why when Seniors tell newcomers to look at a wall of text, it's not that helpful. I even went on to make something which would help people understand DM (though it needs so e serious updating).

Oh and if you ever read this Albro, I like your guides. So far so good!
In response to Kboy33
Kboy33 wrote:
Oh and if you ever read this Albro, I like your guides. So far so good!

Thanks!
Exactly! I read it at school and at home many times.
They were fine. Taught me more than some of the Seniors at least.
This is starting to go off topic, and I have a feeling you're trying to instigate.

We both have different opinions. No problem.
Page: 1 2 3 4