ID:1245822

BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 26.0.1410.64
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Ok the log file for my game just gets filled with this over and over: BUG: Http error: HTTP server returned unexpected status: 404 Not Found

It gets filled with that 1000s of times til it crashes the game. Which happens about every 20 minutes like clockwork.

I think it only happens when hosting on linux. The worst thing about it is that it contains no information to help me fix the bug, like what URL it is trying to reach. Could you please find that error and make it tell what URL is the culprit?

This may not be of any help but the error appears in a text file called LSX.log (named after LSX.dmb) even though in my code I have my log file named Errors.log. Both files exist, Errors.log is filled with runtime errors as expected, but LSX.log only contains this particular error spammed over and over.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I don't know what causes it

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
I expect the error to tell me some useful information to fix it

Actual Results:
It doesn't

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time I host on a 24/7 linux shell server thing
In other games?
I don't know
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
I think it only occurs when hosting a game on linux

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
None that I am aware of

Thanks.
If anyone can reply to this I will check it regularly, thanks
These kind of errors occur with like, Export()ing a website or sometimes even using HTML image tags.
Anything like that?
There are plenty of uses of Export, but my main concern is convincing BYOND to include an URL to go along with this error so that it can be more easily tracked down.

I have 15 uses of Export in my game, I've been disabling and re-enabling them one by one to find out which it is. So far no luck. It'll take a while.

Also long time no see and thanks for everything you've contributed to my game.
If it's happening every 20 minutes - probably means it's happening in a loop or some sort of recursion. There can't be that many instances of loops with export, can there?
Nope. Which is why it is so strange. I don't know the origin of this error. Even with debug mode on it doesn't tell a line number or anything.
Yeah, this kind of error isn't really the same kind of runtime error as other stuff - it's more of a resource/client error. So, it doesn't really provide line or file info...

Still, though, no Export() in loops in your code?
There are 2 uses of Export every time a player logs in. Those are probably the most frequently called out of all uses of Export in my game. But no actual loops using Export.

I'm working thru them one by one. Just wanted to bring this error to BYOND's attention since I really don't think it is good behavior for a simple 404 error to crash the game.
Here's an idea for debugging purposes,

write the URL you're Exporting to to the LSX.log file, for each Export. so it'll appear right before the BUG output in the file.
The 404 error isn't what's crashing your game, it's something else -- the 404 error is just overloading your logs so new messages can't appear.
Yea but I think the crash happens when the logs get overloaded. But regardless, my main request would be for BYOND to include an URL or other info with this error so that it is easier to track down and fix.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Here's an idea for debugging purposes,

write the URL you're Exporting to to the LSX.log file, for each Export. so it'll appear right before the BUG output in the file.

Thanks very much I'll do that