Maptext(outline)

by GreatFisher
This a library that makes handling maptext with outlines a lot easier.
ID:1246380

This a library that makes handling maptext with outlines a lot easier.
If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to contact me via pager or this hub.
You may want to include documentation on the lyr argument in your procs.

Also, I don't believe you need to make that many maptext objects for an outline. 4 (1 to the left, 1 to the right, 1 up and 1 down) should do just the same. Unless you ran into a situation where it didn't work right?
If you make the outline bigger it can make there be gaps with only 4 and . or ! the . part only gets a partial outline with 4. Also I will add the lry variable to docs.
I guess that makes some sense. I just don't like creating more objects than necessary.
I thought I would only need 4 to begin with then discovered the . and ! problem and had to change it.
Perhaps you could compile a list of problem characters and do a findtext() to see if they are in the string. No need to create new objects if you don't need to.
the objects are only created once so that would be a hassle, and probably worse, I'm just gonna leave it as is and if there are any performance issues that I have yet to encounter I will change it.
The thing is your library isn't going to show performance issues until it is used in a game that already has tons of objects. There is a limit to how many can exist at runtime (Although very high). If they are pushing over half that limit and add maptext to 1/8th of the atoms, they are screwed.

It's really just me coming from a minimalist point of view.
Well to be fair, if they are having that problem they can come up with a solution they don't have to use my library and even with 4 that would still an issue.