ID:1249333

I've been coming up with a lot of vague concepts for games to see if I could make anything from one of them, and I'd like some feedback on this one. I'll make it into an example to give a better understanding.

Each player will control a territory, and will be able to gradually build up their army, fort, minerals and wealth. The object is to attack other players, destroy their empire build up your own. The game would be in a constant state of PvP, and when you are defeated, you must build from the ground up.

The thing is, would players be likely to quit over the fact that their beloved empire has been demolished and they must start over, or would this be appealing?

I thought about adding the ability to attack players even when they are offline, but I don't think many people would appreciate that. The ability to form alliances and stopping large empires from attacking small ones (Though I'd like to find a different approach) could also be implimented.
Sounds like Travian/Evony/myriad other games. Concept isn't new but I doubt you'd get enough players on BYOND.
Although I haven't played any like it, I had assumed it had been done before (What hasn't these days?). My first thought though was "Would most BYOND players get butt-hurt and quit?".
I think you could pull off offline attacking if you did alliances correctly. I don't think you should keep large empires from attacking small ones, I think you should make it so it isn't worth their time. Have them hard to find and have them reap little benefit, and you won't have the large empire crushing everything. Yeah there's going to be those people that no-life it and get a super-huge empire so they are bigger and better than the other people who can't be on all the time, but that's what alliances are for. Form alliances with those no-lifers, and you have a lifeline for when you aren't on.

Lots of mobile games do this sort of thing.