ID:1252571

Keywords: mysql
Error Text: libmysqlclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am running a Cent OS 64-bit server. I am using zpanel as a way to manage my mysql databases because I would not want to tamper too much with the command line.

My problem is that I can not run queries from the game hosted on the server to the database hosted on the same server.

From the error, I have tried various things such as manually copying the libmysql.so file from usr/lib64 into root/[gamelocation], but that was no good.

I tried to copy the file into usr/lib/mysql (a folder I had to manually create) and still that did not fix anything.

From my experience with windows and the libmysql.dll, you did not need to make any further installations other than just place the dll into the game's location. Is this different on linux?

results from rpm -q mysql:
mysql-5.1.69-1.el6_4.x86_64

I am under the assumption that this is a shared library for both 32 and 64bit. I tried to install 32bit on its own but its hard to do it through yum, and as I mentioned before, manually placing the files does not help.

So my Big Question is, where does dream daemon look for the libmysql.so file? I am hoping to just copy and paste the file there and forget about it because I have been searching GOoGle for a lifetime it seems :/
Have you tried installing the 'ia32-libs' package?
You can try installing a client on the server on Ubuntu this package libmysqlclient-dev fixes the issue for me anyway.

Centos may have the same or equivalent package, I am unsure if you can install this in zpanel so you might need to install it via the terminal, it should affect zpanel at all.
I haven't installed ia32-libs, I am searching google trying to find out how.

edit: centOS doesnt have the ia32-libs package, however it has compat-libstdc++-296.i686 and compat-libstdc++-33.i686 which offer compatibility with 32bit libs?, I am not too sure about these things.

There is a package for CentOS called libmysqlclient-devel which I have installed, it installed an odbc, which sounded promising as it came up alot in the searches, I believe its what mysql uses to connect.. anyway it did not solve the issue.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Have you tried installing the 'ia32-libs' package?

CentOS doesn't have ia32-libs.. it's multiarch meaning that you can install i?86 packages in parallel to the basic x86_64 arch packages.

That said did you install libmysqlclient-dev with .i386 on the end.

yum install libmysqlclient-dev.i386 see if that helps.
That package does not exist, I have the mysql-devel pacakge which does the same thing as libmysqlclient-dev. I tried to reinstall appending .i386 to it, but that doesnt exist either. This is what I have installed:

dovecot-mysql.x86_64 1:2.0.9-5.el6 @base
mysql.x86_64 5.1.69-1.el6_4 @updates
mysql-connector-odbc.x86_64 5.1.5r1144-7.el6 @base
mysql-devel.x86_64 5.1.69-1.el6_4 @updates
mysql-libs.x86_64 5.1.69-1.el6_4 @updates
mysql-server.x86_64 5.1.69-1.el6_4 @updates
php-mysql.x86_64 5.3.3-22.el6 @base
proftpd-mysql.x86_64 1.3.3g-2.el6
I think I am just going to start afresh with a 32-bit system. I had trouble with this on windows installing the odbc connectors, and now the same problem on Linux where 85% of it is greek to me, I have no hope in hell.

BYOND needs 64-bit support already :/
In response to Rapmaster
Rapmaster wrote:
I think I am just going to start afresh with a 32-bit system. I had trouble with this on windows installing the odbc connectors, and now the same problem on Linux where 85% of it is greek to me, I have no hope in hell.

Try Ubuntu it's pretty straight forward.

BYOND needs 64-bit support already :/

I know - http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1182623 - they never respond it's annoying.

In response to Rapmaster
From serverfault:
"In CentOS5 libmysqlclient belongs to the mysql package.

yum install mysql.i386

should do the trick.
In CentOS6 it was moved to a separate mysql-libs package."
I found that website too, tried to install it and I got:
Setting up Install Process
No package mysql.i386 available.

I think yum somehow blocks it from me, Probably not but I am so stressed it feels like the server and OS are working together to annoy me.

I was always under the assumption that ubuntu is something you install a GUI on, is it comparable to something like Debian or Fedora?, funnily enough I have abit of experience in Ubuntu, I think Ill go back to basics, I'm in no place to complain about efficiency lol
In response to Rapmaster
Rapmaster wrote:
I was always under the assumption that ubuntu is something you install a GUI on, is it comparable to something like Debian or Fedora?

Ubuntu has server versions (headless no GUI) Ubuntu is built off Debian.

Oh thats what that line meant xD. Well its too late now, im currently configuring a fresh Ubuntu install. There is also a lot more help for this distro as its for noobs like me.

Either way typing yum was getting old, apt-get is the way.
Good luck!
Everything's working perfectly now :) 32bit is the way to go stress-free
In response to Rapmaster
Rapmaster wrote:
Everything's working perfectly now :) 32bit is the way to go stress-free

I beg to differ when you have more than 4GB of RAM :P but I found it easy to install all of this on a 64bit Ubuntu machine