ID:1254684

Keywords: byond, ide
Hmm, I'm not sure which topic to post this in... but here it goes anyway.

I noticed recently somebody purchased a membership for me, thanks to whoever is out there. That being said, I'm feeling obligated to contribute something to BYOND. Looking through my old projects I stumbled upon ss_ref, in attempts to reprogram this application with c#, I eventually ended up with a simple IDE prototype.

I'm posting this here for anyone else interested in having a better interface for their projects, as I'm sure there are some people who would.

Features the regular DM syntax, code folding, bookmarks, multiple tabs, text zoom, comment toggle on selected text, and code snippet inserts.
Object trees and nodes are next to come...

The real challenge now will be a fully functional and dynamic auto-complete, I have my work cut out for me.
This looks great!
Just keep with it and don't disappear like everyone else who works on a new IDE.
I never worked out why we didn't group together to do one. Well, I do, actually, Python, C++, Java, C# ... and in many cases wanting to prestige of being "the guy that made a better IDE", I'd guess.

This looks like a good start. Is the source code available for this anywhere, or is it more of a quick thing you did?
Why not just add the syntax to the popular "good" IDE's like Eclipse .. You can't event get it to compile for you... Only issue being graphical stuff like maps or the interface editor..

Still nice job.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I never worked out why we didn't group together to do one. Well, I do, actually, Python, C++, Java, C# ... and in many cases wanting to prestige of being "the guy that made a better IDE", I'd guess.

This looks like a good start. Is the source code available for this anywhere, or is it more of a quick thing you did?

You could potentially pick up ExPixel's IDE, which is much further along. I think he still occasionally works on it, it's up on his github.
I tried ExPixel's IDE, most of the features are broken. Not much functionality was changed.

Tinkering around with the internals a bit -- programming for robustness. Start page added, along with an auto-hiding code-tree (you can see on the left hand side of the window in the picture). Ironing out the last bit of docking/removable window code. Made the current line in the code editor highlighted blue,

If you finish this I'll refund you the cost you spent on Metier War.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Haha, deal. Maybe I can finally make my money back on that one :p
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:

You could potentially pick up ExPixel's IDE, which is much further along. I think he still occasionally works on it, it's up on his github.

Terrible idea.
I want to incorporate something like a simple P2P chat system within the IDE, allowing anybody connected to the IDE to communicate with another.
This would also open up the options to send connected peers files/show code and receive help without having to use 3rd party programs such as the BYOND pager, or msn.

It would look something like this: (prototype)
In response to Suicide Shifter
Sounds like a cool idea but honestly, the power of Drop Box or other similar p2p programs would far outweigh what you could code in your spare time and we already use a dozen different chat programs each. Do we really need another one? One that takes up room on our IDE? Sounds like cool extra fluff but isn't fluff for when it's finished?

Maybe put the chat addition at the end of the todo list?
Not to kill your dreams, but everyone that wanted to do an IDE for BYOND, never finished it.
In response to Blastcore
Blastcore wrote:
Not to kill your dreams, but everyone that wanted to do an IDE for BYOND, never finished it.

He should know, he's been in that position before:P
In response to Blastcore
Whenever something hasn't been done before by anyone... Everyone who attempted it never finished. Kind of a given when you think about it.
In response to Blastcore
Do you need some burn cream?
In response to Blastcore
Blastcore wrote:

Which is why I offered him money. GIVE EM A LIL PUSHY PUSH.
EmpirezTeam is right, this is going to take community support in order to keep afloat I think.
Your doubt inspires me.
I don't doubt you or your skills. You've shown they're plenty good enough. It's just that seeing as this project type has an extended history of being put aside, i think the community should do it's best to help you keep working on it.

NOW WHY HAS LINE HIGHLIGHTING IN DM STILL NOT RECEIVED ANY REPLIES.
Page: 1 2