ID:1255504

Keywords: games, play

Poll: What makes you play games most?

Graphics 16% (15)
Gameplay 60% (54)
Community 5% (5)
Type(Naruto/sci fi/adventure/etc) 6% (6)
Other(please list below) 10% (9)

Login to vote.

What makes you play games most? I wanted to know what makes people continue playing after about 10 mins.
Graphics to attract me to the game, then it's about 50/50 between graphics and gameplay whether I stay or not.
What makes me play is not only the graphics and gameplay, but the PVP elements of the game and whether or not you're 1 hitting an opponent. Whenever one skill OHKOs the other, I don't consider it a game. Another thing that keeps me playing would be the content (PVE wise), events, and things to do end-game.
tbh as long as the graphics aren't terrible/bad I focus on gameplay and leveling system. If those are good I keep playing. The community just has to be normal (trolls/helpers/funny), but when it's racist and strange it's a turn off even if the game is good.
It could be a Pokemon game(Which I don't like the type) and I would still play it for its gameplay. GREAT EXEMPLE: Pokemon White Normal and 2
Graphics draw me in, gameplay keeps me there and community keeps me coming back. So I guess it depends on how you look at it.
What kumorii said.
To be honest graphics don't always draw me in. I've played plenty of games that look terrible but have fantastic gameplay. Although I'm somewhat out of the norm in that respect I think. For most people graphics are the hook, gameplay is the net and community is like the boat it all sails on.

That's sort of what I'm found out anyway. There are differing opinions and some situations present unique answers.
I just wanted to add that this question got votes mainly on gameplay and not so much on graphics. I think that's because most people will see graphics they like, check out the game and then if the game has cool gameplay then they'll play it. So gameplay is their main deciding factor but what really instigates looking at it is the graphics I think.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
I just wanted to add that this question got votes mainly on gameplay and not so much on graphics. I think that's because most people will see graphics they like, check out the game and then if the game has cool gameplay then they'll play it. So gameplay is their main deciding factor but what really instigates looking at it is the graphics I think.

I was expecting more people to say graphics. I've played games with bad gameplay, but the graphics were so good I just had to play it. When I judge a game, it's always on the graphics tbh, but gameplay is also important because I used to play Mario lol. The graphics weren't important, but the gameplay kept me playing. Some people play some games cuz of the type, say "Naruto" in the title and they'll instantly play(no offense to anyone who likes Naruto cuz I like Naruto too).

Just wanted to know what kind of people BYOND had
even if you voted gameplay if you see a game with stunning graphics you will always be drawn in
nah, if it was not entertaining enough i wouldnt
He said you'd be drawn in, not that you'd play it. That's what I was saying. If a game looks pretty to you then you're gonna check it out. If it's not a good game though then you'll leave, often even if it looks amazing.
My idea of a game is a game to have extreme fun and to fun like a bada**
100% gameplay. I could care less about the graphics, as long as the mechanics are solid. I actually love games with less detailed (Note I didn't say worse) graphics more than most modern games. The reason is that I'm not distracted by the visual elements which lets me focus more acutely on the gameplay and mechanical elements that are so near and dear to my heart. Now, that doesn't mean that a nice looking game doesn't attract me every now and again, but I'm certainly not going to pay $60 for it based on box art alone.
Well, A great exaplme I would provide that is my type of a bada** game is

Super Smash Flash 2. A flash game by Mclodgaming.

They make the gameplay amazing, and with solid graphics. That is a awesome game.
I'll be honest, what gets you the game is it's looks/graphics. That's the truth, but what makes you play it is gameplay that's why it's all about game play..
Yeah. The only things I've ever played for any period of time that didn't involve gameplay was experimental environments that showed off new tech. Apart from that, it's really gameplay that makes it a.. 'game'
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
I'll be honest, what gets you the game is it's looks/graphics. That's the truth, but what makes you play it is gameplay that's why it's all about game play..

Not true for everyone. For most people, yes, that's true, but not everyone. The reason I legitimately don't mind graphics is because I've played my fair share of games and graphics have never determined how much fun I've had, which makes me realize that they don't matter to me anymore.

I've played CoD... all of them. Awful games, truly. Fantastic visuals though, just so awful, and like a sick puppy in an abusive home I keep coming back expecting the next game not to be absolute shit and kick me in the head again, but it does and I'm never surprised...

*Ahem* Sorry... I digress.

But as many of you know, a lot of the most memorable titles in the industry have their roots in the 8-bit world of mainstream video games, and that's where I like it.

I guess I'm just a fanboy of the older generation of gaming because, being an indie developer, they're closer to the projects I produce. It just gives you a greater appreciation for the era, something this new generation of kids just won't be able to fathom, sadly.

I introduced a young lad to BYOND just a few days ago, his key is Andradez. He's 11 and the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm going to make the next Call of Duty Black Ops!" And I cried a little on the inside, I really did. I fear that we've left the golden age of gaming and have long since entered the new era of mainstream AAA copy paste titles where originality is frowned upon and shunned like the Bubonic Plague...

TL;DR
Ignore me, it's late and I'm in a ranting mood...
Games used to be rated by individual qualities (controls, graphics, etc.) but that's not the case anymore. Now we rate games by how much depth they have.
Page: 1 2