BYOND Hosting / Shell Server

by Xirre
A shell server (hosting service) for all of BYOND to use!
Is it possible to transfer my service to server 3?
It's not always Server 1. All of the servers do that. The one thing that I recall that causes it to hang like that is uploading through the server. Because uploading via this utility uses the shell() proc in BYOND, I believe there are some issues that arise. shell() has been buggy forever apparently.

If you find yourself frequently uploading new RSC and DMB files for your game, try adding an Update verb in your game for yourself and a selected few others. This way you don't have to rely on this utility to be functional all the time. Just because you can't access Server #1 doesn't mean that you can't access games on Server #1. :)

I fixed it though. It's a simple fix. I just need to shut it down and open it again and it'll be fresh. Still, since everyone only reports the issue and never reports what they did to cause the issue I can't fix the issue. Until someone gives me some good information, it will have to be manually restarted each time.

But, like I said, you can still manage your files if you program your own verbs in your project. If you want some code snippets, I have some examples you can use to manage files. Like updating, downloading, and deleting files. The update one will also prompt you if you'd like to reboot right after since all it takes to update a game is a mere reboot.
I belive the problem should be resolved or at least occur a lot less now. Let me know if there any other issues.
Server 1 is down again. This is honestly starting to get aggravating I'm trying to get a server set up and ready and the constant crashing is heart breaking.
Well, don't blame me. It's not my fault. I already gave you a solution even. We're both frustrated from this fact.
I was sleeping when it occurred. Now, if you have the sources to whatever you're trying to host, I can tell you a very easy way to update your game without having to always rely on the server. Your game stays up regardless if the Server 1 is up or not. Do you want the code to do just that?
I'd like that yes. I'm hosting it on RPi, I also never meant to throw blame at anyone. I'm sorry if it seemed that way.
It's alright dude. If you ever see a pattern with when it freezes like that, and you're sure that this pattern could lead to a fix, post it here. I've been trying to get this bug fixed for several years. Sadly, the people who cause the bug never realize what they've done at the time to trigger it, if they've done anything, or they just stay silent. And I'm not on enough anymore to trigger frequently myself.

On another note, the server is back up. :) Sorry for it going down.
If you head on to Server #1, I'll talk to you a bit about how to add it to your game. I don't know if you have the sources to RPI though. If you don't, then you cannot add this. If the developer has not already implemented something like this then it seem that you will in-fact have to rely on the console. But, once again, it's not server-specific. All of the servers are doing this.

You "could" try to move your server to Server #0 which is suppose to be where all servers will be headed. It seems to be stable at the moment. It has yet to crash since we started doing testing on it. Your choice. Head to Server #1 to talk about this.
The servers are moving over to TinyShell by TinyCosmo thanks to Hikato.
I'm trying to get back with that idea ....
http://www.byond.com/games/Gabriel001/ShellServer

totally free ...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6