ID:1263613

BYOND Version:498, 499 all builds
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 26.0.1410.64
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I'm still having a lot of issues (memory related) with dream maker. When you compile a large project, you never know if its going to crash, or just not even finish compiling with no error or warning.

I would like to possibly share an SVN with Tom or Lummox so you can pick up the project we're working with and just try messing around with it for a while.

Sometimes, I have to actually close the whole project and re open it just to compile it once. Sometimes the object tree just refuses to update at all unless I completely restart Dream Maker.

There's definitely memory issues here. This is happening on both the 498 (blocking) and 499 (non blocking) versions of the IDE.

I'll ask the SVN owner if we can include you, you'll need an email address and an assembla account
As a matter of curiosity, have you got the project checked out on a Linux machine at all? If so, you can do ...

find . -name '*.dm' | xargs wc -l

And at the bottom of what it prints out, it'll give you the total number of lines in all the DM files in the directory you ran the command. This should help in understanding just how large a large project is in this instance, in terms of code anyway.
I don't have it on a linux box, but this is one of those times where I wish I was macgyver.

Putting it on my linux box now
Well no worries, I'm sure Tom/Lummox will catch up with you on it. When compiling, did you have your map checked? I imagine a particularly enormous (many Z levels in particular) map could help push these things past their expected limits.
Map is 700x650x3, its always enabled when compiling
50541 was the result of your line of code, Stephen001
possibly unrelated, but would it be possible to have it compile the maps ONLY when they have been modified?, there was a similar post to this where it was brought up that it is simply easier to clean the dmb and recompile from scratch. But that is for .dm files which are rather dynamic by nature, could for instance a seperate/virtual .dme be created for the map and have this sync up to the main .dme after compiling?

If it finds a conflict it would notify you and do a default recompile of the whole thing.
That's possibly better put into a feature request, Jean, but on the face of it, it might be doable, with effort.

Okay, if you uncheck the map and compile (just for the sake of testing here), how does that affect things, Fireking?

Another thought also, is do you have automatic FILE_DIR on? I suppose your project has many files, being a good 50k lines of code, so automatic scanning of that may also be affecting things here.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
That's possibly better put into a feature request, Jean, but on the face of it, it might be doable, with effort.

Okay, if you uncheck the map and compile (just for the sake of testing here), how does that affect things, Fireking?

Another thought also, is do you have automatic FILE_DIR on? I suppose your project has many files, being a good 50k lines of code, so automatic scanning of that may also be affecting things here.

We're compiling with FILE_DIR off, and there's a manual include file at the top of the project tree so that things are put into proper order. but honestly its a bit of a mess.

I'll see what happens with the map off vs on but honestly, the entire IDE just acts weird with this project.
Really would like some attention here, I can easily get a project to crash Dream Maker. Tom or Lummox or whoever, just page me the email address and we'll add you to the SVN.
I take it compiling without the map included did you no favours at all?
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I take it compiling without the map included did you no favours at all?

With or without the map we are getting crashes, the object tree is unstable, and sometimes hitting compile will just stop with no explanation.
if one was to develop a game knowing all the restrictions of the compiler/maker, it would be sensible to create a folder with the map and all the objects and classes that it depends on. This way you can easily compile without the map and simply check all the files in that folder when you need to compile them.

Most games(including mine), are/were built before anyone knew the limitations that come with scaling; and its a pain to adopt the workaround since objects in the map are commonly sprawled all over the place.
The map isn't the problem. It's something to do with memory management of dream maker code.
If you add [email protected] and tell me what to do, I'll be glad to test it out. Probably you are hitting some variable limit in the compiler.
ok https://www.assembla.com/spaces/eternia-roleplay/start is the start page, you've been invited. you might need an account associated with your email address, i'm not 100% sure...

if you do get in, just download the latest commit

These steps will produce a crash, first off:

1. open project
2. hit compile
3. open map
4. click "show all nodes"
5. hit compile

should crash at least after step 5 if not before
I will try it. That's strange because SS13 (which is even bigger) was crashing for me in this same scenario but I thought I fixed it in an earlier 499 build by raising the node limits.
There's another issue too; I don't have exact steps to reproduce it, but I'll hit ctrl + r to run, it will report there are outdated files that need to be compiled, confirm and it will start compiling but then just stop. If I hit ctrl + r to run again, it will repeat the whole process. This can go on forever until I restart dream maker. Sometimes the next restart of dream maker also will refuse to compile until I save all opened files, close all windows, uncheck show-icons, show-all-nodes, and show-all-files. Then uncheck map, hit compile. If that works, I save and close dream maker again, re open, and then include map and try to compile again to get it to work.
I created an account for [email protected] but it is saying I don't have permission.
What's the username of your assembla account?
Page: 1 2