ID:1264355

Is it plausible to run the dream maker tools on an android tablet/ arm processor based device.

I checked out wine labs and they kind of said they are adding arm support or they have but its very hazy on their part.

You can for instance run gimp, and Firefox on it and with a mouse/keyboard it feels like a mini laptop, if you could run BYOND it would be a bonus.
question is it an attachment for your arm? @.@
lol :/ arm is what most android/iPad devices use. PCs and laptops use x86 or x64 type processors. I won't lie and say I know their main differences, but I believe they handle memory and cache sizes differently.
x.x ermmm.....foreign language alert! i was just worried about the future of the arms of america
In short, no, you cannot. BYOND provides no ARM build, nor would it probably be very worthwhile for them to do so.

On the Wine front, the ARM support is very difficult for them. You don't have an X11 server usually on an Android device, or iPad/iPhone, or really most ARM architecture devices. That pretty much makes a whole layer of Wine's code incompatible, even if their OpenGL layer does work by chance on ARM.
is this "arm" a terminology or are we talking limbs here?
It's a technology (and a company), a general design of CPU you see in a lot of phones these days, and other embedded hardware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture
ohh ok like a program? like java?
No, like a piece of hardware, like the stuff physically inside your PC / laptop. Just a different design.
oh like motherboards and stuff? , the stuff that gives you a headache
Yes. Only in your mobile phone, normally. ARM chips are usually in mobile devices.
A.R.M, Aint. Really. Making shi# lmao
That's actually quite true, in a way. ARM (the company) just design chips, and sell the designs to other companies, to actually make them. So yeah, they don't make things, as such.

That said, ARM chips power 95% of mobile phones and a whole host of other devices. So your phone, contains an ARM chip, almost certainly.

This is partly why Jean is asking, as he'd like to be able to use BYOND on his phone, but ARM chips aren't compatible with regular programs, you need to compile them specially for ARM.
thank god im poor , i dont have a mobile phone Rotfl, but anyways , man your pretty dang smart
Thank you!
In response to Stephen001
Ah that sucks, I did some searching around and there is a project that is currently open source and they make it possible to virtualize windows on an arm processor. From the reviews its not worth it, although I'm sure I'll be able to use notepad++ and maybe dropbox as an alternative
You could use a vnc server on your main computer and a vnc client on your phone. Then you could play and develop all the byond games you could ever want.
well the reason I wanted to go such lengths is because the device im using(Nexus 7) has quite nice specs, and can already run ubuntu quite nicely. I would also be using it remotely so it might not always be possible to just remote connect to my pc.

But it's early still, Google I/O conference in 2 days!, maybe they release some crazy (:
I did not even notice Ubuntu touch was out! Cheers.
here aren't many other options. If you have a smart phone you would make a hotspot and connect to the VNC server in that manner.
The touch is just a developers preview, looks nice and shiny but nothing works as of yet, for tablets. I think its functional on phones though.

I'm talking about full fledged Ubuntu desktop running :) with terminal and bash functionality

Unfortunately my phone got the ios virus, can't do anything cool with it because lawyers are watching
Page: 1 2