ID:1264358

While reading about older versions of byond I came across a byond exe that allows you to turn byond games into exe. But in current version there is only a packaging command and no exe. Would this byond exe work with a single-player game and what version of byond allows you to do that?
Tom removed the feature temporarily. It should be back soon though no one knows if it'll be free or not. I heard there may be a one-time payment to get a license and turn your games into .EXE
They will most likely charge for EXE functionality.

This changed a lot, it used to be a built in feature, but it wasn't feature rich enough for some people. So they took it out and made a separate program out of it. Now you can create your own installer even, and you can entirely bypass BYOND altogether if you wish. The only way to do this is to have a game_key, which is given to you by Tom himself.
What I'm hoping is that the new pager is of enough value that people will use it even if there is a standalone available. In that case, I don't have a problem letting people use the standalone freely.
I like the idea of charging for an EXE, I think only serious games should get that far. But I'm a bit of a Nazi when it comes to how BYOND should work, haha.
In response to FIREking
I like it too, I just don't see much revenue coming from it, as we don't have many "serious games" :(

[EDIT] could be a good incentive to become a member and enforce original games to be created.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I like it too, I just don't see much revenue coming from it, as we don't have many "serious games" :(

Maybe not, but the fact that this is entirely free is already insane enough.. I don't think charging for the exe game key is crazy, and I don't think it hurts byond. If someone is serious enough with a great idea, chances are they can cough up a very small upstart fee to get the game key.

In other words, as more things are free, there are less opportunities to make money.
In response to FIREking
I don't disagree with that at all.
we always say we want serious developers, when we aren't actually trying to facilitate them at all.
Thanks for letting me know. About serious developers most of them develop in 3D graphics and prefer cross platform engines. Developers will use Byond if it enables them to create games that will actually earn them money. But anyway I believe that byond is the perfect choice for low bugdet(or no bugdet) indie developers.
Also about the Byond Development team. How can they work with no budget to make such an engine? And if they make such an engine it surely won't be free.