ID:1265102

i think byond should update its 'keywords' for search's.

'online gaming'
'online game sites'
'game websites'

unless i type...byond...into google. google never finds it. maybe this is why byond went from over 10k players to bairly having 5k. id rather see more/new people in the population of byond then have these new updates for dream maker/seeker and shit.

would be nice if other people felt the same : byond needs more players
Knick-knack, patty-whack; Oh, look! This thread is back!
the simple fact that its "back" means that someones tried to do this before and it didnt work. byonds diein. seems like no one gives a fuck either
Constantly badgering them won't change anything. Tom has already expressed his concern that BYOND isn't doing very well now and has been working hard on trying to fix things where he can. Simply making BYOND more prevalent in web searches wouldn't change things hardly at all(not to mention BYOND does show up on those searches, albeit further back).

The best way to help save BYOND is to develop original, quality games that actually have some gameplay value.
idk alot of people seem to like the 'rips'. instead of disincluding them from the hub, why not just have them in their own section
Let's make games so people will come to the site and look at the ads so BYOND can pay the bills. Also, the more people who use the new pager, the better, because the more bugs we can find which will make for a more stable product so it can be released and more ads can be seen.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
The best way to help save BYOND is to develop original, quality games that actually have some gameplay value.
The games should also use the subscription system as well as membership benefits.
In response to Cassidyx15
Cassidyx15 wrote:
idk alot of people seem to like the 'rips'. instead of disincluding them from the hub, why not just have them in their own section

rips will be back in the hub, byond will simply honor c&d's and let the hub be free reign.

there will be some sort of separation between listed and non listed games, i'm sure. that separation is unclear off the top of my head.
Although fangames aren't actually allowed to make money (and many rips are fangames), they do attract players. It's clear that not many of them actually buy BYOND memberships, though.
yea, cause i joined byond back in 02-03. the game i played has changed owners, but unless someone sends me a link i cant find it. cause byond considers it a rip. i mean if someone is 18 when they joined byond back in 05. made a game, and abandoned it. why cant other people pick it up and roll with it?
people who buy a membership, want their game to be found though. and as to my knowledge subbing was taken out. like dimes
Unless the owner actually released the source for all use, what happens to a game is completely not up to anyone but the owner. If you want a good game to play, make one yourself. Build your own net dream.
Cassidyx15 wrote:
people who buy a membership, want their game to be found though.
You can't take a game and call it your own, that's why they're called rips. If you want your game to be found, you should have to actually make the game yourself. Otherwise, it's not your game.

and as to my knowledge subbing was taken out. like dimes
Fangames can't make money because you're not allowed to make money off of stolen intellectual property. It's like you stole a book from the library, maybe replaced the cover, and sold it as your own creation.

Original games can have subscribers, though.
ok but question. lets say john doe made a game. hasnt been on byond for 5 years. but his game source is still out there. how exactly are you going to ask john, did he himself give his source out. the thing about owners is, the should have enough common sense to never give their source over to anyone. same as passwords. why would you give someone all your hard work, so that they could then go off and branch out with your work. first thing you wanna do is rage. but even with that senerio. what if the person gives credit to the person that he got the source from.
You can't just assume what you're doing is legal.
If you do eventually find yourself in court, you're the one at fault, even if you give credit.
Otherwise, if the original owner doesn't care, then you're good to go under his terms.
what does it take to be 'original'. 100% new icons, new ideas that no ones seen?
cause with that icon share..game? people can just share icons
Original: Something you thought of on your own, and didn't steal from anyone else.
It's not totally easy to tell if code is stolen because there's only a certain number of ways to do some things. But if a lot of games are all doing the same exact thing, that's a problem.

Other examples of patterns I'd consider not original:
  • Character creation involves asking the player how much red, green, and blue he wants in his hair.
  • Ninjas from villages led by Kages, and everyone performs Jutsus using Chakra.
  • Pick a race from options including Saiyan, Human, Halfbreed, Icer, Majin, etc.
  • With a high enough powerlevel, transform. But you might need a guy to chop your tail off, or something.
  • AFK train through a Train or Meditate verb, or set up a macro to continuously punch a pbag or wooden log.
  • Art from other games, old video game sprite sheets (for example, stuff found in Icon Share), especially from the Legacy of Goku games.
  • Statpanels with several pages of verbs.

It's clearly not all about art, although unoriginal art is often the easiest to point out. I don't play many BYOND games. I have logged in to some over the years, and not much has changed. Many "new" games try to get listed, but suspiciously look like games made before I joined BYOND. I even logged into a game recently that appeared to be a rip, but changed names to not contain anything referring to DBZ. It was still very noticeable.

It'd probably be best if you actually tried to not do any of the above things. Make an original game by trying to be different.
Original means that the IP is of your creation. There are no 'what ifs' when it comes to the legality of this. Unless the original IP holder or author(in the logic of code and graphics) has given explicit permission to you or the public, it is considered theft.

You can't just change a couple things and consider it your creation. That's just lazy and I personally find people who do such things to be blatant morons who lack any sense of creativity.

EDIT:

Icon Share is intended for sharing your own icons; not stolen icons as it's unfortunately come to be.
Page: 1 2 3