In response to Severed Entertainment
Define developer friendly...

DM is one of the easiest languages I've ever seen...
In response to A.T.H.K
Ah the language itself is very friendly. I recently completed a byond project as my senior college project developing a game with 3 other game IT students. 2 coders, 1 digital design.

The coders picked up the language with no problem the first issue we ran into was with iconning. The digital design guy was awesome however you cant copy and paste icons with alpha states into byond(leaves behind a white background). Any shadow work he did was extremely hard incorporate because the icon needed to be imported icon by icon.

The digital design guy did everything with tilesheets in photoshop. He actually thought the fact that icons couldn't be copy and pasted in was laughable when comparing to other platforms.

Another reason, byond doesnt export to multiple platforms like unity/gamemaker. I would like to release the game on android if possible, but to do that i would have went with unity/gamemakerplus.

lastly is that its to hard to get games listed. byond is to controlling on the criteria. If a person buys membership and is not using other peoples intellectual property they should be allowed to list there game.

excuse any typing/grammar mistakes its like 3.30 here.

I can't comment on the icons although I know you can change the extension from png to dmi, so you could probably copy / paste off that or kept them as pngs and loaded each direction separately.

If you want cross platform you picked the wrong engine any sort of research would of told you that :)

It is not hard to get a game listed at all be it a fan game or not, you may have to be patient as the mods that look over that section may be busy., they are after all volunteers.

Severed Entertainment wrote:
The digital design guy was awesome however you cant copy and paste icons with alpha states into byond(leaves behind a white background). Any shadow work he did was extremely hard incorporate because the icon needed to be imported icon by icon.

This problem has frustrated me a great deal, but I don't think it's unique to just BYOND. I've noticed Paint.NET, GIMP, and even Photoshop seem to have trouble preserving alpha when copy/pasting between them.

lastly is that its to hard to get games listed. byond is to controlling on the criteria. If a person buys membership and is not using other peoples intellectual property they should be allowed to list there game.

As far as I know, any game not using copyrighted material, is available to play, and isn't a completely broken mess will easily get listed.

A.T.H.K wrote:
I know you can change the extension from png to dmi, so you could probably copy / paste off that or kept them as pngs and loaded each direction separately.

The problem with that is once you save the png in anything other than Dream Maker the icon loses all animation data. It becomes one big sprite sheet you have to cut together again which kinda defeats the purpose of doing that in the first place.
In response to SuperAntx
Like I said cant really comment on the graphic stuff.

I don't know about that, fan games still get a hub just not listed on BYOND's site (publicly) but I don't know why you would advertise on BYOND to be honest the player base is small 5,000+ that's not many people and since the majority of them like anime/fan games I would stick to advertising elsewhere, BYOND does offer tools (stand alone) to do everything on your own like tons of other games do at the moment.

The only people who have an issue with BYOND's current hub system are either ones who can program properly (eg make shit ass games) or fan/anime games, which honestly isn't Toms fault C&D or not.

TL:DR it's better to advertise your game outside of BYOND you will reach a larger player base, with the help of a stand alone exe it will lower the risk of losing players as they don't need to install/sign up to third party software, meaning the file/s you give them look like they are from a legitimate source.
In response to A.T.H.K
For the cross platform thing i was just pointing out one of the issues with byond, i never intend to releases my game on android.

I disagree about the listing thing though, mods shouldn't even have to approve a game at all. The mod who checked my game opened the game and closed the game, didnt even bother logging in, as soon as he saw i didn't have a skin on my game it was rejected. The whole process took about 12 seconds.
It's to ensure quality games get exposure and aren't drowned out by not so great games.

Your game isn't released or available to play, which I think is what got it rejected. While unrelated to the game itself, the video on the hub page is using the theme from Game of Thrones which would be copyright infringement.
For the cross platform thing i was just pointing out one of the issues with byond, i never intend to releases my game on android.

I disagree about the listing thing though, mods shouldn't even have to approve a game at all. The mod who checked my game opened the game and closed the game, didnt even bother logging in, as soon as he saw i didn't have a skin on my game it was rejected. The whole process took about 12 seconds.

If you're gonna have an online only (players aren't allowed to host a server) you have to keep the server online for it to be reviewed.
In response to A.T.H.K
Just going to quote myself here.

A.T.H.K wrote:
The only people who have an issue with BYOND's current hub system are either ones who can program properly (eg make shit ass games) or fan/anime games, which honestly isn't Toms fault C&D or not.
In response to SuperAntx
The song is not in the game youtube lets you use copyrighted music in most cases as long as you give credit to the owners (so they can sell the music).

It was set to invisible why it was checked and it was checked, the comments given were no skin and disconnect. Didn't go a step farther then the title screen. It could have Skyrim on the next click and the mod would have never known.

But like I said there is no reason to have game approved or not, there is nothing wrong with bad games they are released all the time even in the mainstream. Just no one ends up playing the bad ones. But its discouraging to developers (especially newbies, just learning to code) because, yea maybe their first games sucks but who knows a few years down the road their games may be awesome. A few more years they may be working for a AAA developer.
In response to A.T.H.K
I disagree, I think the worst part about byonds hub system is that its discouraging to newbies.
Is that the iron throne in your game?
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Is that the iron throne in your game?

Sure looks like it :P
Man. I can't wait until tomorrow now. New Game of Thrones. Love that show.
In response to SuperAntx
yea it is :D
Yeah a lot of people at my job talk about it, but I've never seen it. I was wondering why everyone was so interested in it, so I googled it and then I read this:

The first season's frequent scenes in which characters explain their motives or background while having sex with prostitutes gave rise to the term "sexposition" to describe the practice of providing exposition against a backdrop of sex and nudity.

And that explained everything. People love them some boobies.
In response to EmpirezTeam
legitly really good books though, cool story.
legitly really good books though, cool story bro.

BYOND needs intense SEO mang.
I agree with the OP though. Nearly EVERY game I play all BYOND I have to find through Google. The keyword system is unorganized and most of the tags do not fit the game it's on.
Page: 1 2 3