ID:1266961

I just recieved an email, and suspension from my vps provider for hosting DD:

Suspension Reason:
Running a prohibited product on 512mb plan - DreamDaemon Uses 60% cpu at idle Its as intensive if not more than java.

I might have hosted more than one dmb at times, but even so, wth. Anyone experienced such feedback?
Which hosting service did you use?
(Just so I can avoid them)
https://vpscorner.co.uk

BYOND blacklist -.-
From their Acceptable Use Policy:
Both 512MB & 1GB vps plans are prohibited from running java Or any other intensive CPU application such as DreamDaemon which uses over 60% on idle, This is due to extreme cpu abuse and memory leaks from java applications.

Loooool. I'm assuming they added that clause since you started hosting with them?
You used a VPS which have shared resources ... A provider will suspend you without notice, as per their TOS.

Another thing to look out for in the TOS of a provider is if they allow games servers, which BYOND / DD is classed as.

Good luck getting a refund (because I doubt you will).
He would have a very good chance if he reversed the transaction with his credit card. This clause regarding DreamDaemon was obviously just added.
In response to Murrawhip
No he wouldn't and that would be classed as illegal..

Clearly they didn't just "add" this as its in any VPS providers TOS...

Software that uses 100% resources 24/7 will be deemed as abuse of node/services and will be terminate without refund, We will however inform all clients of the issues related to resource abuse to resolve them upon unsuspension at our discretion.

They probably didn't live up to this like they should have, this is what happens when you go cheap.
In response to A.T.H.K
Nobody said anything about him using 100% resources 24/7. It wouldn't be 'classed as illegal' at all, sorry.
If the terms when he signed up didn't mention that he couldn't go over 60%, then he is very well entitled to a refund.
Good luck with that, it probably won't happen.

And as you aren't the OP you are not entitled to comment on the CPU usage.
Luckily I used a 30% voucher :p the thing cost me 1.25$ so I'm not too worried about refund, I asked them if they would let me retrieve my data though.

Side note: a week ago I tried to run a cgminer script, it said it failed but maybe it ran in the background ;/, I would like to think my coding doesn't make DD use 60℅ CPU when idle damn
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
And as you aren't the OP you are not entitled to comment on the CPU usage.

I'm entitled to comment about whatever I'd like to comment on. Continue living up to your reputation.
I highly doubt it, it wouldn't of been idle and I doubt they even checked.

Another thing to realise is they could of given you a 1GHZ CPU or less.... They are using OpenVZ which doesn't give you a dedicated CPU speed, this and an oversold box could of given you less CPU...
So I gather openvz or solusvm = shared CPU/memory, and dedicated servers run for $100 minimum, what's a good standard for BYOND?, with scalability being optional, in case I want more stuff later. Cheap is nice, I have to eat etc :p

Anyone got good vps links?
You can get dedicated servers for way cheaper than that, which nice specs too, just do some research.