ID:1267132

I am finding a lot of mixed info on exactly what or how a shell is used. Somethings say you need to buy a shell service from a company. Others state you can set up a shell through linux. I have ubuntu on a second partion, could someone point me in correct direction of hosting with a shell through linux?
A shell is another word for linux vps i guess.. or some sort of remote linux system.

There are actually some free things coming up from Xirre is setting up some sort of shell service that he coded through BYOND i made something pretty much the same deal.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1266679

which is free unless you go over a lot of resources.
A shell isn't a "VPS" I do t know who the hell came up with the name...

A shell is just a server, VPS or computer running Linux, it has nothing to do with the beach but it will somehow host a BYOND game.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
A shell isn't a "VPS" I do t know who the hell came up with the name...

A shell is just a server, VPS or computer running Linux, it has nothing to do with the beach but it will somehow host a BYOND game.

Actually its sorta just another name for SSH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

Which isn't a server but a service that is installed on unix based systems.

but anyways i was just giving him the term people most refer it as. a server that hosts stuff.

basically its like the linux version of remote desktop except instead of visual you get the terminal.
No I wasn't asking who came up with VPS...
I had read some about SSH, but I am confused as to what that is as well because when I look for it I come to random programs. So if I understand I could basically harness this SSH in Ubuntu to effectivly host a game with more protection than doing it without the SSH?
It's just a way you can login and do stuff on a remote machine, securely. So for example, my server is in the US somewhere, and I'm in the UK. If I want to change bits and bots about my server, I use SSH to login to the server, then type in whatever commands I want to run on that server, like ... starting up a BYOND world on it, for example.

When people mention 'shell server' on BYOND, they basically just mean some machine (maybe one in your house, maybe one you rent from a provider, like I do) that can be left on 24/7, where you could host a BYOND game. SSH is pretty much just the way you talk to that machine as an admin, and get it to do stuff.
In response to Akando5959
Akando5959 wrote:
I had read some about SSH, but I am confused as to what that is as well because when I look for it I come to random programs. So if I understand I could basically harness this SSH in Ubuntu to effectivly host a game with more protection than doing it without the SSH?

ssh has nothing to do with protecting your byond game.

if anything having ssh opens possible security risks.
Why is it then that people can host on a shell server and games don't go down, but if they host outside of shell server they get hacked?
*shrug* Depends on the game and the ability of the person hosting, I'd imagine. BYOND isn't inherently more vulnerable on Windows or Linux.
Akando5959 wrote:
Why is it then that people can host on a shell server and games don't go down, but if they host outside of shell server they get hacked?

I don't think you understand what a shell server is.

SSH is nothing more than an application that runs in the background it is basically a remote access service that allows people to connect via putty or some similar ssh client.

They don't go down because Shell server here usually refers to a dedicated paid for host (Vps, dedicated server etc.)

And only people who have no idea what they're doing get hacked...

If they pay for a server they should learn how to secure it properly.

Specially if they are storing peoples information (ip's, subscriptions, emails etc.)
How do you secure a server? With things like firewalls mainly?
Pretty much, yup. But you need the port BYOND uses open, and the SSH port, so you know, that's really not much different to a Windows PC at home.
Well in that case what would be the best firewall for Windows and which is the best for Ubuntu?
Akando5959 wrote:
Well in that case what would be the best firewall for Windows and which is the best for Ubuntu?

Linux has a pretty good built in firewall called iptables.

I wouldn't use windows for hosting anything unless i really required windows linux is just so much better for hosting stuff...i mean linux was mostly built for the task.
But if I use Linux I can't play or do anything with Byond, correct?
You can compile and program and host.

You can play using WINE it's not trivial to set up but you don't seem to have much Linux knowledge so it may be harder for you, that and it doesn't work all that well.
I saw the thing about the Windows emulator I just don't know any names of good ones.
If you want to play & host, you have a few options.

Purchase a VPS or dedicated server, that let you run "games" or CPU intensive processes.

Host on your computer using Linux install WINE to play
Host on on your computer using Linux install Windows as a virtual machine to play

or

Host/Play on Windows and forget Linux altogether.
Well in that case what would be a good firewall for Windows?
Page: 1 2