ID:1270738

I see a lot on BYOND, that no one ever finishes, a game they start. They will have pretty decent progress, a lot of games are just dropped by developers on this site. It's like no one on this site, can finish a game for the life of them. I can literally name over a hundred games, with decent potential and progress, but they are just dropped and no reason is usually given. So the question is, why can't BYOND developers finish their games?
Many factors could contribute to that.

Loss of motivation, loss of team members, or even simply underestimating the game and giving up on it because it's just too much.
The distance between just started and kinda okay is much, much smaller than the distance between kinda okay and completely polished.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
The distance between just started and kinda okay is much, much smaller than the distance between kinda okay and completely polished.

I agree, and most games are dropped at kinda okay, because a lot of people either lose motivation or don't have enough money to keep paying for pixel art/pixel artist who does it for free, is a lazy bastard.
One day you think "Oh hey, I'm going to build a game!". A week later you look at what you have compared with what you started with, not a big difference, lots of code written. "Oh dam..." *game gets dropped*

In the past I tried to create two non-anime based games, and I failed. I tried to start with something big, even though that was pretty far away. The lack of time and motivation is a big problem after few weeks, and if you have to pay a pixel artist you feel even worse when you see you're running out of money and your game has progressed slowly.
In my experience what would happen to me is I would come up with a great idea at random and start programming and then soon I find all the features I wanted become very time consuming and soon enough the idea doesn't seem worth it.

I have dozens and dozens of byond games that I have worked on that are abandoned on my desktop due to various reasons but overall its mostly, biting off more that I can chew and taking on too big of a project.

With my 2 games so far that I did finish I promised myself I would make them with as little effort as possible and keep them simple, that way they would actually get done.

I am sure many many byond developers do just the same and I am sure they have tons of half done or just started ideas that fall to the way side and are never completed.

TL;DR We don't have the resources to take on a big project and yet, try anyway and lose motivation.

PS I feel pixel art has alot to do with it as well because if the game is ugly a programmer doesn't get excited or fall in love with the idea and if the developer doesn't love it, who else will?
I tend to have a bit of 'Shiny Thing' syndrome. I'll start working on a project and somewhere along the way I'll develop some feature for it and think to myself, 'Oh, that would be cool in some other game that I'm not working on right now...' And off I go.
I think another thing that can happen is that DM is setup for rapid development, so its very easy to half-ass just about anything and then further down the line, you have a very large combination of half-assed things that amount to a low quality end product. Just because something works doesn't mean you should stop there.

What I tend to do is create something, and then try to stress it. For example, a mob... what if you need 100, 1000, 10000 ?? Can't possibly know how well it will do and REALLY how efficient it is until you've tried it out. Then, through thorough testing and playing about, you'll find tons of things you never thought of; sometimes negative bugs that need fixing, other times positive features you didn't think to include initially.

Ultimately, it lies in the motives of the programmer and his goals. Some people just want to get things on paper, while others want to create something solid like stone... but both situations require invested determination and motivation.

Finally, I think sharing too early or blogging too often causes the "we're almost done" or "we've already done it" syndrome. The longer you wait to show anything, the longer you wait to reveal details... the more apt you will be to work towards completing these things to a more polished point which is ultimately best for the developer AND the gamer. Gamers aren't often patient and won't want to stick around while your work of art crashes, loses saves, goes through changes, etc. So I'd say a big item on the list is stop releasing games early and stop doing open alphas.
In response to FIREking
All of this applies unless you are Linus Torvalds. Sometimes there is no better way to test a product than have people actual play it. What I might find extremely fun might be mind blowingly mundane to the people who play my game; so feedback is nice to gear your project and better suit your target audience.

That being said, the issue is actually TOO MUCH feedback, this swamps the developer(s) and they get a huge workload(features and bugs) ontop of their current workload(actually finishing the game). To appease the player base, more time is spent on the former rather than the later, and this all ends in the developer(s) losing hope of completing their project(s).

P.S: *Rips are setup for rapid re-deployment, making a game from scratch is actually quite a challenging task on byond
In response to Jean Sqribe
Jean Sqribe wrote:
P.S: *Rips are setup for rapid re-deployment, making a game from scratch is actually quite a challenging task on byond

Actually, compared to C or Java, making a game from scratch is very rapid. Java is even considered more rapid than C because you have things like Graphics2D already written for you, where in C you need a library or something else to draw pixels to the screen.

Saying byond isn't a rapid game development environment is just totally outright wrong. All of the networking, graphics, hardware handling, and many other things are totally handled for you.
lets try and find out how we can finish gaems guise
Pretty much read this thread and reverse the trends.

1. We need to organize our plan for a game better with exactly what we need done.

2. We need to be sure that the project isn't to large for us to handle, think about how much time each element will take and if that is reasonable within your current schedule.

3.DO NOT change ideas or deviate from the original development plan, after the game is done we can add those awesome ideas we came up with mid way through development but not until we have the finished project.

4.Don't talk about the game until its done and don't release half done or concept games.

5.If you need feedback ask some friends in town or your family to play first to avoid getting tons of feature requests and other things that slow development.

6.IMO I would finish a game first with placeholder graphics and then have a artist rework your graphics, this would save a lot of time and money wasted on games that don't get finished, how many artists have built great art for games that never got out to the public anyway? and how many programmers paid for art they never used?

7.if you have an idea write it down and wait a day or two then come back to it, if it still is really exciting and cool and your truly passionate about it, then by all means make the game! But if its only slightly interesting then don't put the time and effort into something you will lose interest in half way through.

Overall Good Luck and Stay Motivated!

In response to Bloodocean7
This is great word that you have just post it here. This comment just boosted/buffed my motivation. Thank you, a LOT! I know now that pressure from fan is something just ruins your project. Like with my Fan-games.

~Programming right now!
Stop asking why, and just do something.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
Stop asking why, and just do something.

but asking why is easier
@EmpirezTeam

Sounds like an excellent potential quote lol :)

@Dark-DVF

Glad to be of service :)
Good Luck and I hope to see your FINISHED game very soon lol :)

Project management and team management require a lot of skills and discipline that most hobbyists simply don't have, especially young hobbyists.

It takes pretty much zero effort to be The Ideas Guy.
It takes a lot of experience and work to make those ideas ever turn into anything.
The "ideas guy" is called the designer, and no, it's not "zero effort". If it takes zero effort no company in their right mind would be hiring people to do it.
I think the issue is that quite often on BYOND the 'ideas guy' on a project is either a writer or a pixel artist, and doesn't spend as much or any effort polishing the gameplay, or often even learning how to program.

The important aspects of game design end up being phoned in by a revolving door of DM programmers with varying degrees of experience, thus leading to the creation of a generic top-down action RPG likely made with code from the libraries: A style of game on BYOND that hasn't fundamentally changed for the last 15 years.

For 90% of all BYOND games, regardless of genre, I've felt like I've been playing the exact same game.
Page: 1 2