I guess you've never heard the old saying...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

There was nothing wrong with how it was before... I'll stick to the older client and when you people block it from working at all, I'll leave BYOND. Not interested in ANY of your new updates... 99% of the players of my games left when you people released the 4.x client and things have been going steadily downhill since...
Well, there was one issue, Genesis. BYOND is broke (financially), hence they're having a go at fixing it. So I think they have heard the old saying.
This should have never been a "money making" program anyways. I've been using BYOND for a very long time and quite frankly... There is very little money to be made. This programs main purpose in my opinion is for people who are interested in gaming and programming to be able to do both, play games AND program, all for "free". If BYOND is "financially" broke... Oh well.

All just my personal opinion though. I doubt many agree with my way of thinking though.
Oh, they're not in a money-making kind of scheme here. The issue is literally that the ad revenue and membership revenue at the moment does not cover the server and manpower costs of running the business. Literally being BYOND, existing, costs more money than they are getting. It has done for a while now, and Tom's personally paid in by working elsewhere to balance it, but that cannot continue, because the situation is getting worse.

As their remaining costs are deemed uncuttable costs, This leaves them two choices:

1. Shut up shop completely. There's no website, no platform, you can't download BYOND, there's no hub, you and I don't speak ever again. Put simply, there is no BYOND.

2. Find a better way to raise money, and because BYOND is literally accruing debt by simply existing, do it fast.

BYOND has chosen option number 2, as evidenced by the fact we're still here. Hence, the new pager and ad model. Your way of thinking is nice and ideally yes, would be the case. But that's not how the real world works I'm afraid.
Well, after around a decade of being here... Option 1 wouldn't hurt my feelings, however as I'm sure option 1 is not what anyone wants, option 2 would be the way to go. I guess I'm just weird in a way that I hate it when large changes are made. I don't like change. The pager has been the same since I started and now this... I'll stay with the old client until it gets blocked completely. As I noticed paging people has been blocked for older clients, I just wont renew my membership when it expires. Once BYOND blocks older clients, that's when I'll leave. I also know a large number of people who feel the same way though.

It is what it is.
In response to Genesismagician
Genesismagician wrote:
I guess you've never heard the old saying...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

There was nothing wrong with how it was before... I'll stick to the older client and when you people block it from working at all, I'll leave BYOND. Not interested in ANY of your new updates... 99% of the players of my games left when you people released the 4.x client and things have been going steadily downhill since...

You and your players aren't interested in improvements?
You don't want BYOND to still be a thing?
Ha.
Improvements? I beg to differ.
What about the new pager hasn't been an improvement?
Genesismagician wrote:
Improvements? I beg to differ.

Improvements, you know. Building on old features, making them better, adding new features.

If you feel an update hasn't been an improvement, and instead has been buggy, or something more should be added, there are places to discuss that.

The new BYOND pager (the version in general) has lots of improvement for, well...everything.
Adding new crap is the problem. It was fine and functional just the way it was.

THAT is my point. If it works, then it's fine. If there is a bug, fix it. That's all I have to say.
Once upon a time, people like you said the earth was flat. If everyone was like you... This world would have been certainly very uninteresting.
how to upgrade to the new Pager
In response to Mjones3
Mjones3 wrote:
how to upgrade to the new Pager

Simply update BYOND and all should be well -- http://byond.com/download
You would've loved when the pager was inside Dream Seeker. We don't use DS to seek dreams anymore, just play them. The pager seeks dreams now but its name doesn't conform to the dream theme.

Then:
Build Your Own Net Dream
Make Dreams with Dream Maker
Seek Dreams with Dream Seeker
Host a world in the system tray with Dream Daemon

Now:
Seek Dreams with the pager (and message people)
Play with Dream Seeker
(other stuff the same)
Genesismagician wrote:
Well, after around a decade of being here... Option 1 wouldn't hurt my feelings, however as I'm sure option 1 is not what anyone wants, option 2 would be the way to go. I guess I'm just weird in a way that I hate it when large changes are made. I don't like change. The pager has been the same since I started and now this... I'll stay with the old client until it gets blocked completely. As I noticed paging people has been blocked for older clients, I just wont renew my membership when it expires. Once BYOND blocks older clients, that's when I'll leave. I also know a large number of people who feel the same way though.

It is what it is.

If that is your original Key, then you have not been here for a decade. You have been here for about 6 years. This is not my first Key Name, but I have been here 13+ years. I would hate to see BYOND go. Tom is literally losing money just by having this website up and this is the only way to help pay for this. You said you lost your player base when version 4.x came out. Then you said you hate change. You pretty much answered everyone's question on how 4.x, a version that added tons of features to make your game a thousand times better in everyway possible, could make you lose players. It is because you hate change and you kept your game the same while other games were updating to the new version. The problem was you, not BYOND.

If this website stayed how it was 13 years ago, it would have died a long time ago. It lasted because it kept changing and getting better. This is how the world works.
I think Jean Sqribe's comment was spot on :).

Also I must say that I think Toms efforts in pushing forward despite his losses is brilliant, BYOND has been around for more than a decade and I've been here most of that time, I will probably never entirely leave Byond and i don't want it to cease to exist either.

I will contribute some membership-donations to help again and I would hope others with more than enough means to help also contribute something (Probably not many people who could contribute)

Anyway nice work :) New pager definitely has useful features and a nicer appearance :) ~~ very modern :P
I have been planning to contribute for some time. However, I have been caught up with real-life events at this moment. Hopefully, I'm available again near the end of this Summer or beginning of Fall.
Serious issue, Is there a way to download a previous client?, the new update isnt letting the games i play work, ive cleared the byond files twioe.
If you really have to downgrade for the time being, while Tom and Lummox sort out the issues, you can get the older version here.
thanks
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10