There's a fine line between trying to make some money and becoming totally annoying, and I felt that the static ads crossed that line. The interstitial spots (when they work) don't seem too bad yet we get tons of complaints. Of course they aren't really paying anything either so we might have to rethink this.
Tom, I understand the need for advertisements and fully support the idea as long as Byond keeps getting money. However, I feel that advertising games off of byond would end up hurting Byond as a whole. Have you considered advertising for something else, because I have heard of some people leaving the site because of how the other games looked "more fun to play".
So i have a bit of a problem here. I tried downloading and installing the new version twice thus far.
One simple issue:
It doesn't work.
The client always reliably fails to connect to the Byond HUB, which makes both sending messages, an enjoyable user experience through viewing games and marking things as favorite, and last not least PLAYING ANY GAMES physically impossible.
I had to reinstall the old version twice now.
Everything works perfectly there, except for messaging which has been disabled, and is driving me mad.

If this was a PLAYstore or Appstore upgrade i'd give it 0 of 5 stars. I have no idea how, but the update managed to retain absolutely zero functionality for me. I have been trying to look for a solution in the forums and failed.
Please report your issue (including exact subversion-- you should download the absolute latest 1189 if you haven't already-- as well as version of IE, which we use internally) in the Beta Bugs forum with as many details as you can provide. We're trying to get to the bottom of this. 499 appears to work for almost everyone now but there are a few stragglers. Sorry for the problems.
Well that's the problem: I don't know how to find out anything besides the things i've mentioned. The version should however be the newest since i tried for the second time about half an hour ago. I will post in the beta bugs forum too, now that i have noticed that it exists. Thanks!
You can check the version from the menu (the gear icon) / About BYOND...

You can get your version of IE by just going to Start->Run and typing "iexplore" and then checking the About menu there.

One thing that would be good to know (put this in your report) is if the pager itself is reporting the hub is down (it should have a red box that says something to the effect). If you can give us a screenshot of what you see, that would be good.
Can everyone help Please ?
My pager doesn't load any game,favorite,recent,active,popular,nothing.
The load circle stays forever and doesnt load any game.
When i was in my cousin's house,i opened byond and it loaded successfuly butin my byond it dont,why ?
My Pager :
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5417/imagemmnid.png
it stays like this forever '-'
to play a game i have to get the link in the hub e.e
Help me guys !
In response to Bum-x
That would suggest your pager is not getting a game list from the hub or website for some reason. Oddly though, it obviously connected to the hub, or you wouldn't have a Friends tab.

Please post a bug report in Beta Bugs detailing your situation, including the exact build number you're using. (E.g., are you using 499.1189?)

As a workaround, I also recommend going to Preferences in the menu, Advanced tab, and opening up your user data directory. Find the cfg folder. There should be a file there called localhub.db. Close down your pager completely. Then, rename that file to something else--we may want to study it--and reopen the pager. This should force it to reload all game info.
Can you get me a mebership?
There is not favourite games list+ i dunno how to add new peeps
I try searching on friends tab but nothing comes up
This isn't a place to report bugs, there is a sub forum called bug reports, you can see it by looking at the top of the page.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
There's a fine line between trying to make some money and becoming totally annoying, and I felt that the static ads crossed that line. The interstitial spots (when they work) don't seem too bad yet we get tons of complaints. Of course they aren't really paying anything either so we might have to rethink this.

Do you have any other plans for more ads? If you could try to ask your ad provider for occasional giving longer ads like hulu. Some of their ads run for 30 seconds, others run for 90 seconds. Another thing would be why not have a video ad, play every like hour when someone is playing a game, and it won't interfere with gameplay, it will just play on the screen, or if you really need someone to just focus in on the ad, make an ad play every hour, and they have 5 minutes to play it or they get booted, i'm sure 5 minutes is enough time to kill a monster or finish/pause anything you were doing in your game. Sorry, I know this isn't the place to request features, but not sure if asking for more ads, would be a good thing to request on there.
I think the ads are 30s max (any longer would be more annoying to me) but we're supposed to get some better ones from our provider.
I was going to post this as a suggestion, but since it's a quick comment, and the ads were just discussed; would it be possible to make the ads focus on trailers/ads for new movies and such more? I know that those are usually 30-120 seconds long, but a skip can be in after 10 seconds. I say this because I normally hate ads, and I often complain about them with youtube, yet that is the one type on there I usually watch entirely and don't mind at all.

Music ads are similar, but more likely to be skipped than those. Granted, neither type is similar to BYOND, but they won't draw users away like game ads might, and Everyone likes music and movies.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I think the ads are 30s max (any longer would be more annoying to me) but we're supposed to get some better ones from our provider.

I don't think a 60 or 90 second ad would be that more annoying, since you would be playing the game for a while and if it would help profit more. Also I've noticed the video ads are always in horrible quality, looks like 240p, my internet connection is 25mbps, so I know I can play higher quality.

Toddab503 wrote:
I was going to post this as a suggestion, but since it's a quick comment, and the ads were just discussed; would it be possible to make the ads focus on trailers/ads for new movies and such more? I know that those are usually 30-120 seconds long, but a skip can be in after 10 seconds. I say this because I normally hate ads, and I often complain about them with youtube, yet that is the one type on there I usually watch entirely and don't mind at all.

Yes, Hulu also has this feature, where you can pick what type of ads you want to see. Movies,Music,Games, Household products, Pet food, etc. This would be a great feature to see.
In response to VongolaXEspada
VongolaXEspada wrote:
I don't think a 60 or 90 second ad would be that more annoying, since you would be playing the game for a while and if it would help profit more. Also I've noticed the video ads are always in horrible quality, looks like 240p, my internet connection is 25mbps, so I know I can play higher quality.

Do you really want to spend time buffering ads?
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
VongolaXEspada wrote:

Do you really want to spend time buffering ads?

You guys have buffering? I haven't seen buffering in SOOO long.
Everything buffers, whether it buffers as you see it or not.

My internet is mostly poo, it's DSL; as the cable service here is Comcast, and no one likes Comcast. And the only Fiber Optics provider here...is available everywhere in my city besides my neighborhood!
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Everything buffers, whether it buffers as you see it or not.

My internet is mostly poo, it's DSL; as the cable service here is Comcast, and no one likes Comcast. And the only Fiber Optics provider here...is available everywhere in my city besides my neighborhood!

I meant... "you guys still see buffering?"
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10