ID:1271765

Resolved
Ad behavior was fixed in several later builds to cope with misbehaving ad blockers, so that games should never fail to connect because of an ad.
BYOND Version:499.1185
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 21.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I attempted to connect to Dragon Warrior: Shadows of Erdrick. The window opened, but an ad did not play, and it did not progress to the game either.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Go to: http://www.byond.com/games/8bitdream/ DragonWarriorShadowsofErdrick
2. Click Play Now
3. Wait forever for the ad and game to not load.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

Occurs every time for this game. It's coded in an older BYOND version (3.5 perhaps), but I have not tested this on any other live and remote games using that version.

When does the problem NOT occur?

It always happens, at least for this version.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

It did not happen in version 498. New ad code must have some kinks in it.

Workarounds:

Use previous version.
What version of IE are you using?
Make sure JavaScript and Flash plugins are enabled in IE.
I'm using IE 10. Flash is enabled, and JavaScript should be enabled (though I can't find anything that mentions JavaScript in my internet options through IE 10).
Figured out the immunization by Spybot Search and Destroy (anti-malware program) was likely blocking the ad through a modified HOSTS file. Undid immunization and it seems I can get an ad (and thus connect) now. Wierdly, I closed the ad window completely (hit the wrong X) and then tried to reopen the game...an ad did not play and thus the game did not open. This happened several times before the ad finally played.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Ad behavior was fixed in several later builds to cope with misbehaving ad blockers, so that games should never fail to connect because of an ad.