ID:1274477

BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro
Web Browser:Chrome 26.0.1410.64
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

In my game I display objects and mobs in statpanels. When I have world.icon_size=32, any object I show in the statpanel will show as 32x32, even if I am showing an object using a 250x250 icon, it will be scaled down to display as 32x32 in the statpanel.

Now, if I set world.icon_size=64, everything in the statpanels becomes HUGE. It shows everything as 64x64.

I don't think what size an icon displays as in a statpanel should be based off of world.icon_size. There should be an independent setting for what size to display objects in the statpanel.

The functionality is there already, because as I said if I have world.icon_size on 32, and I display my 250x250 space ship icon in a statpanel, then that spaceship will show up as 32x32.

This bug makes it impossible to upgrade my game's icon_size to 64 until I have a way to display objects in the statpanels again at a suitable size instead of HUGE.

This problem also applies to grids.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Set world.icon_size=64. Use some 64x64 icons for everything. In Stat(), put something like statpanel(world). Anything it displays in the tab will be huge. But if you set world.icon_size=32, anything in the statpanel (or a grid) will be sized down to 32x32 (normal) size.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Changing world.icon_size should NOT affect what size icons display as in statpanels and grids

Actual Results:
Changing world.icon_size will change any icon displayed in statpanels or grids to be the same size as world.icon_size. So if someone wanted to have a game with icon_size=128, they would not at all be able to ever use grids or statpanels that display icons because those icons would be so huge to the player that it would be unusable.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

None that I know
Hi Tens of DU,

I believe this is currently the intended functionality, so I've moved your thread to Feature Requests.

Related request:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=110813
Ok thanks. Hopefully this will be changed soon since it is easy to do because the functionality is already there, evidenced by the fact that they already scale larger icons DOWN to world.icon_size when you display those icons in any statpanel or grid.

So instead of scaling them down to world.icon_size, just scale them down to something that I can have control of in my game. Thanks.

I'm not sure what method of rendering is used to show things in the statpanels but it looks WAY better than whatever the map does when it renders objects. At least on my PC, I'm not sure how it looks on any other. But when I stretch the map, pixels start getting all displaced and looking really bad and stuff. One of my character's eyes will be bigger than the other even though that isn't how it looks in the DMI file at all. I guess you could say the rendering isn't pixel-perfect? Yet, in the statpanels, the objects look great. Also on the map every object is all fuzzy like it is trying to use some 2xSAI filter or something.
Stretch does not maintain aspect ratio completely; and that's why you're getting those kinds of results.
Anything I can do about that?
You could probably add an on-size command to the map element, and change the map's icon_size parameter to something that's a multiple of 2, or 4, etc.
Not sure of the exact math involved; but you can play with it.