In response to Bloodocean7
Bloodocean7 wrote:
If byond had a store where people could put their games art onto key chains and shirts etc. It would be a excellent member perk and byond would sell more memberships. Even if byond doesn't sell much merchandise they would get more members by having such a perk.

In my opinion anyhow. :)

That's actually a pretty cool idea.
They kind of already had this, and it didn't make BYOND any money.
I have a great way to make money you see we... kill the batman.
In response to Darker Emerald
Sorry for being off-topic but is that, by any chances, a Hunter x Hunter character on your small blog icon?
I don't see how BYOND is expected to make money when they don't seem motivated to make their service better. I've been using BYOND since 2008, and it's just as crappy to work with now as it was back then. Instead of wasting months of time working on a new pager, it would have been more beneficial to see some engine improvements: Enabling some stuff to be kept client side and some form of multi-core support would be immensely useful in the year 2013, where 'pager' is a dead term.

You've actually been using BYOND since 2006 and haven't contributed a cent, so I don't really care about your input.
In response to Biggs Mclargehuge
Agreed ++

This pager is one: a EXE version of the "BYOND.com" website.
Two, it's: usless, no one really cares about the pager, yet thinking transforming it into the actual website would do something.

THOUGH!, MOST people never go on the website but the pager. So now they can see that more games are available...
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
You've actually been using BYOND since 2006 and haven't contributed a cent, so I don't really care about your input.

Tom, no matter if the person purchases a membership or not, all customers should be treated equally ..
No, they actually aren't "customers" unless they buy something. Now it's true that some people contribute in other ways by making games or helping users, by and large the majority of our userbase are leeches who complain a lot but don't do anything to help out. And that is why this project is going to die.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
And that is why this project is going to die.

Damn, that sucks. I'm guessing the ad revenue isn't much then? How much is being brought in per 1000 views? How many views are we actually getting?

I'm assuming that a large portion of the userbase has not transferred over, so maybe things will brighten up.

I've read that video ads can make anywhere from $20-40 per 1000 viewings, so I really did think that the new system would cover a big chunk of BYOND's costs... Considering there's 5000 people online right now, 10'000 views ($200-400 a day) doesn't seem too unrealistic. I guess that's not the case though.

Blargh, bummer.
Pixel Artist shouldn't blame anyone. ESPECIALLY PIXEL ARTIST! I've paid numerous pixel artist from PixelJoint or WayofthePixel to join my team. I've realized that the more I worked with them the more they didn't wanna be a part of it. If you want a REALLY RELIABLE pixel artist.. they've got to accept in their own will. Showing that they work because they like the idea and not because they win money. Smh.. that's just my opinion.
If the video ads paid anywhere near $20/1000, we'd be fine. I'm pretty sure no ads pay the publisher anywhere near that (we were quoted $2-$4 peaks). Right now they are paying less than $1/1000 but the availability is also not near 100% so there are some crappy fallbacks that don't pay anything.

So.. yeah.

But it's OK. The project makes enough to exist. Just don't expect anymore development unless things change.
In response to Tom
I thought about it for a while... Why don't you, creator of BYOND, make a game? Since you're the creator of that language you could make anything possible. Making an amazing game, would probably help.
Wow. That's outright terrible.
In response to Haiji
Haiji wrote:
I thought about it for a while... Why don't you, creator of BYOND, make a game? Since you're the creator of that language you could make anything possible. Making an amazing game, would probably help.

That would shift the focus of Tom's efforts from maintaining a game development engine to maintaining/developing a game itself. I don't think that would be something the rest of BYOND would prefer, assuming Tom would even want to make a game with his own engine.
In response to Tom
There has to be something you could do ... kickstarter? ask for some $$ to either re-develop or hire/pay a programmer (Lummox JR)..

Not only does it give you free advertising .. you could potentially make a fair amount of money..
There are plenty of things we could try but I am tired. I am not disappointed by BYOND the software but BYOND the business never worked, and spending so many years trying to massage something into a business is just the wrong way of going about things.

We may do a spinoff project using some of the network technology and community infrastructure we've developed through BYOND. It would be hard to make a financially successful game in BYOND (although we've had a few, and I admire those that attempt it) and, frankly, I'm sick of looking at the code.

Hopefully BYOND makes enough to support the servers and the time we need to maintain things. If so, we can keep it around indefinitely and y'all will just have to accept that it is basically a finished product (aside from bug fixes). If not, we'll figure out a way to offload the central hub and make sure there are no issues with existing games (as well as future developments). And we could see about open-sourcing the software so others could continue it (although I have strong reservations that this would ever work).
Yut Put wrote:
Tom wrote:
But it's OK. The project makes enough to exist. Just don't expect anymore development unless things change.

It's been stated hundreds of times before that there are plenty of qualified people who would be happy to contribute to the development of the engine for free.

You do realize that, in a community that is dominated by rips, the very first thing that would happen if development were opened up in this way is that new "BYOND"s would start popping up...
Yut Put wrote:
Tom wrote:

It's been stated hundreds of times before that there are plenty of qualified people who would be happy to contribute to the development of the engine for free.

That is much easier said than done. People have a lot of ambitious goals but when you actually look at what happens when you hand over a big idea or project to volunteers, you'll see it's not as realistic as you think. The best open-source developments start from the ground-up, since you really want a good foundation to allow others to contribute. BYOND is the furthest thing from that and there would be a lot of preliminary work that would need to be done just to get it into a state where others could play with it.
In response to Gakumerasara
Gakumerasara wrote:
the very first thing that would happen if development were opened up in this way is that new "BYOND"s would start popping up...

No .. they'll take one look at the code and run! they can't even program in DM properly they won't be able to do anything.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12